All in One Remotes

A

Anonymous

Hi pete

i use the meridian msr remote . me and the wife find this extremely easy to use does all the regular things with ease ,simple to learn from other remotes it will learn almost anything we have lights ,amps tv etc on it looks like a small keypad a joy to use 10 out of 10

A

Anonymous

I have a Harmony 885 which I use for the TV, AVR, Sky, BluRay and DVD/HDD recorder. Works pretty well, although can get it wrong sometimes. You can set up each device with a separate set of controls, but also set upÿActivitiesÿsuch as Play BluRay etc, which operates a set of devices at once.ÿ

It could be a bit more logical though - it sometimes loads controls n anÿillogicalÿmanner on the device and they need sorting out on the computer. ÿ

A

Anonymous

I use the harmony 525. ÿI previously used the philips pronto.

ÿ

The harmony remotes are great and the software is very good. the harmony one loooks great...ÿ

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
Big thumbs up for the Logitech Harmony range from me. I initially had a Pronto but it was too much of a hobby programming it and you get no support from Philips so you're basically on your own. I now use the One as my main remote and it's the best remote I've owned. The Harmonys are reasonably easy to setup and program and once they're setup are a breeze to operate. I wouldn't be without mine. I also have a 525 in the bedroom. There is also excellent support on forums such as Logitech and their customer support is second to none.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the comments. It looks like a Harmony One it is, unless anyone can offer a real alternative.

Rgds

Pete

nads

I have the Harmony 1000 and it is great, but to raise some points that could have been better. It is a 2 handed remote not a single handed one like the other harmonies. also the hard glass screens on the others I hear is a bit better.

But i do like the way it works.

A

Anonymous

While it might seem obvious, check that all your kit (and any upgrades your considering right now) are compatible. Of particular note are cable TV boxes from Virgin / Telewest / blueyonder. There are several different ones all with different compatibility - none work with Cambridge kit or their incognito multiroom for example.

Andy

A

Anonymous

The Harmony One is a great piece of kit and well worth getting.
I picked one up just before Christmas
The setting up is fairly easy...the tweaking to get it spot on takes a bit longer.
There is a review here too
http://whathifi.com/Review/Logitech-Harmony-One/

You can pick one up a fair bit less than the list price too
Mine was £89.00 on Amazon and the list price is around £130

A

Anonymous

Do any of them work with the PS3 - which I gather is bluetooth rather than IR?

A

Anonymous

i have the logitech Harmony One remote, it is a great remote and controls all my remotes including my xbox360. The only problem i have is with the one touch access which is supposed to power up all my equipment with one button.

Problem is with my tv which is a panasonic th37px70b the remote cannot power it up as my tv does sometimes need you to hold the power button for a couple of seconds to switch on, the remote cannot do this as far as i am aware.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Another satisfied 885 user here - and yes, you can get them to work with the PS3, I gather - you need an infrared/USB adapter like this, this or this. I think the Harmony database has control codes for some of these, or you can just use the learning function to teach your remote the appropriate commands.

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
Superted1974:Do any of them work with the PS3 - which I gather is bluetooth rather than IR? No, you would need an adaptor. I use an ir2bt. Check www.ir2bt.com and the various youtube videos showing it in operation with a Harmony remote. It works a treat inc power on and off, which some struggle with. I know they've just brought out a new and improved version. I have the older one.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
j_fowler:Problem is with my tv which is a panasonic th37px70b the remote cannot power it up as my tv does sometimes need you to hold the power button for a couple of seconds to switch on, the remote cannot do this as far as i am aware.
To fix this, go to your Devices and choose Troubleshoot next to the TV device. Choose the TV responds to some commands either too many times or only occasionally option and then increase the setting (needed it to be 5 for it to work consistently on my Panny).

A

Anonymous

cheers professor, i shall try that.

since we are on the subject. On the touch screen i have added a button to change the input source to hdmi without having to go into the input menu screen and use the cursor to change the input. I cant find a button that does the same for AV1 (sky+) and component (xbox360), any ideas?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Not sure how you've done this - perhaps the different model allows you to do this (I have an older TH-42PX600), but I don't have a button which can change the input source to HDMI. However, I did have issues with the inputs where I had to program the remote to send different colour buttons after it had turned on the TV to ensure I got the right source. I've literally just updated the remote today and it updated the device for my TV. Unfortunately it stuffed this up a bit and I've just had to reconfigure every Activity which used the TV device! Now that's done though, it looks like they've sorted these issues by programming in these button presses which is nice for new users!
Given you have this button though, one possible way could be a sequence i.e. go into the Customise Buttons section of your Activity, and click Add Sequence. To change to AV1, set the first sequence to press the button which goes to your HDMI input, then the second in the sequence to press the Red button (or any colour button which brings up the on screen display), then the third button to press Red again to go to the first menu in the display, and then a fourth button press of Red again which should select AV1. For component, do the same except first button goes to HDMI, second presses Red (or any colour button to bring up the display) and then third button is Yellow to select Component.
This is all assuming your model is the same as mine in choosing inputs of course!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts