All-in-one or integrated amp?

I always thought of music centres of yore as products with amp, tuner, cassette deck, and turntable in one box. But I guess you mean today‘s typical integrated amplifier -v- a streaming amp? Or do you mean things like Naim’s Muso, with speakers in-built?

Reactions: WayneKerr

Gray

Years ago I called all-in-ones the modern music centre. Justified?
Yes, I reckon that's quite an apt description, but with the emphasis on the word 'modern'.
Many old music centres, although not all terrible, were a quality compromise compared to separates.
Modern all-in-ones are likely to be using many of the same class D amp / Bluetooth etc. modules used in separates (just without so much empty space around them).
They should (hopefully) be designed well enough to minimise the disadvantage of a common power supply too.

They're certainly a tidier, more compact solution. But I can understand why people don't want all their eggs in one basket.
With separates you can upgrade each part if / when necessary.

Then there's the potential cost of repair.
There's no real reason why it should cost more to have an all-in-one repaired.....but.....if it cost 5+ times? the price of a separate, then the repair charge is likely to be significantly higher - just because it can be.
People will naturally be more reluctant to scrap a multi-thousand pound product, than they would a multi-hundred pound separate.

Reactions: plastic penguin

James105

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
Most of the popular integrateds now have built-in Dacs, but I'm suggesting streamer/amp, where digital connectivity outweighs RCAs.

You mean like this? Andrew Everard and Paul Miller review ? flick to the second page and read the verdict with reguards to RCA inputs. I owned one with the BluOS 2 card never had anything else connected so cant comment.

nad-m32-digital-amplifier

Reactions: jjbomber

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
I like john darko descriptor for them. “Future fi”
All in on media devices come in many forms these days and really wouldn’t compare them to a late 90s Sony/aiwa/jvc boom box’s with enough lights to put Times Square to shame. With the likes of kef offering very compelling hifi for a fraction of what it would cost as singular boxes. I guess that’s what you mean?

You mean like this? Andrew Everard and Paul Miller review ? flick to the second page and read the verdict with reguards to RCA inputs. I owned one with the BluOS 2 card never had anything else connected so cant comment.

nad-m32-digital-amplifier
And now, less than five years later, we have the M33. And that’s why my vote would invariably go for putting the digital stuff in another box, if quality matters (as per the original question).

But for convenience:- Naim Uniti range, Cambridge EVO range, Primare with Prisma, Gato with streaming module, NAD Masters, and many more are easy to fall for.

record_spot

Bought an Onkyo TX-8050 network stereo receiver nearly a decade ago. Streaming, internet radio, tuner, phono stage, and it was terrific. Swapped it out for the same company's TX-NR818 amp and it compared favourably with a Leema Pulse, Harman HK990 and Exposure 3010s. The 818 was the one I bought. Only got rid of it as moved house with a smaller lounge and space was an issue. It worked brilliantly as a pre-amp for actives too.

matthewpianist

I've heard a few modern all-in-ones solutions and been very impressed.

The NAD M33 is a fantastic piece of kit. with plenty of neutrality but enough of the classic NAD drive and that touch of warmth.

At a much more affordable level, I was very impressed by the Technics SA-C600 with Technics' own 600-series speakers. It's essentially a version of my Technics all-in-one but for external speakers - great build quality, good UI and natural, engaging sound. That was still a £1,800 system in total, but worth every penny IMO.

I was extremely impressed with the Linn Majik 109 system - sound quality, build quality and interface. If I had the money I wouldn't hesitate to buy this.

How anything would compare with your current kit I don't know, and as you know yourself there's no substitute for an audition.

James105

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
And now, less than five years later, we have the M33. And that’s why my vote would invariably go for putting the digital stuff in another box, if quality matters (as per the original question).

But for convenience:- Naim Uniti range, Cambridge EVO range, Primare with Prisma, Gato with streaming module, NAD Masters, and many more are easy to fall for.

And already the question asked on NAD facebook groups is when will the M33 be replaced? One of the things with the NAD amps is everything goes to the internal A to D then the DSP if used then the DAC there is no way to by pass it, although different or better DACs could be added via the MDC slots. This is kinda drifting off topic but like a "music centre" once you've bought it thats what you've got, your upgrade path is curtailed some what.

Bought an Onkyo TX-8050 network stereo receiver nearly a decade ago. Streaming, internet radio, tuner, phono stage, and it was terrific. Swapped it out for the same company's TX-NR818 amp and it compared favourably with a Leema Pulse, Harman HK990 and Exposure 3010s. The 818 was the one I bought. Only got rid of it as moved house with a smaller lounge and space was an issue. It worked brilliantly as a pre-amp for actives too.
I remember you eulogized over both models at the time.

No doubt receivers and two channel all-in-ones have improved over the years. The bro-in-law has a budget Sony receiver and that compared well with my old A65+, but it's tricky unless you have both in the same room. Most people who have surround sound amps also have a centre speaker and a sub.

Reactions: record_spot

record_spot

I remember you eulogized over both models at the time.

No doubt receivers and two channel all-in-ones have improved over the years. The bro-in-law has a budget Sony receiver and that compared well with my old A65+, but it's tricky unless you have both in the same room. Most people who have surround sound amps also have a centre speaker and a sub.

My enthusiasm, I admit, was pretty excessive at the time, but not misplaced I think. The TX-8050 really was a great receiver. Onkyo bundled a nice tuner and a pretty decent phono stage. The internet radio option was like opening a doorway to the wider world in your living room and was an utter joy.

The 818 was a monster. I only used it in stereo mode and it was paired with two Tannoy DC4 diminutive standmounts that ended getting fed 2x120wpc - and sounded all the bloody lovely for it. They delivered a better bass than the reviews of the day would have you believe (your room will have an impact obviously).

The 818 did all the muscle, but also brought audio finesse with DSD capability, network connectivity, audio options not otherwise available in stereo amps of the (then) day. It really was a great amp.

Thats what I thought! LOL! plus you're the hardest sell in the world
No, I'm a creature of habit. I know what tugs my rug and tend to embrace familiarity. My past kit proves that:

Pioneer SA706 kept for 17 years until it fell to pieces.
Arcam amps over 14 years
Arcam CD73 15 years
Marantz tuner purchased in 1979 - still works well but relegated to the attic
RS6s purchased in 2005, in the attic
Leema Pulse purchased in 2010.

See...

James105

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
No, I'm a creature of habit. I know what tugs my rug and tend to embrace familiarity. My past kit proves that:

Pioneer SA706 kept for 17 years until it fell to pieces.
Arcam amps over 14 years
Arcam CD73 15 years
Marantz tuner purchased in 1979 - still works well but relegated to the attic
RS6s purchased in 2005, in the attic
Leema Pulse purchased in 2010.

See...

I'm not much of a box swapper myself, just replaced a pair of Dali menuets I bought in 1994 and a pair of Dali Evidence 470s I bought in 1998, replaced my NAD 118/216 bought in 1997 and 1998. I've sold exactly one item everything else has moved to other rooms, be re used in surround system or has been gifted to family.
I think like most people we work very hard and music is one of our rewards and we dont spend our money lightly.

Reactions: WayneKerr

matthewpianist

My enthusiasm, I admit, was pretty excessive at the time, but not misplaced I think. The TX-8050 really was a great receiver. Onkyo bundled a nice tuner and a pretty decent phono stage. The internet radio option was like opening a doorway to the wider world in your living room and was an utter joy.

The 818 was a monster. I only used it in stereo mode and it was paired with two Tannoy DC4 diminutive standmounts that ended getting fed 2x120wpc - and sounded all the bloody lovely for it. They delivered a better bass than the reviews of the day would have you believe (your room will have an impact obviously).

The 818 did all the muscle, but also brought audio finesse with DSD capability, network connectivity, audio options not otherwise available in stereo amps of the (then) day. It really was a great amp.

I remember we both had the 8050 at the same time. It was a nice piece of kit.

Reactions: record_spot

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts