Album reviews

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Q

QuestForThe13thNote

knaithrover said:
I thought the rota was over complicating things then I saw I didn't make the elite reviewers list. Fortunately I'm thick skinned lol

not the elite list, was just a work in progress, but no worries now.

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Genesis - "Selling England by the pound" (1973).

Since last week i heard this one for the first time over my last (hifi)set. It was as if a curtain was lifted and i was blown away by the beauty of this music, again. For me it is the best sympho record ever made. And the sound is surprisingly good.

Then still with the voice of Peter Gabriel, and Phil Collins on drums, where he belonged, there is no weak song on this album. And it also has a big variety in songs. Phil Collins takes the leadvocal in one of them as he later (1975) would take over completely. I would not call this sympho-rock as it is not rock music. It is very subtle and has wide dynamics. Striking is the very 'natural' intelligent use of synths and mellotron. It contains some long numbers that have an outstandingly build-up like claasical music, which gave the name 'sympho' to it of course. For Genesis it was a big step forward after an already impressing start culminating in "Genesis Live" (also 1973), with an again really excelling Peter Gabriel.

Because of this renewed connection i had to redo my top 15 of all time albums. 10 out of 10 would be a bit to much, but 9 yes!

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Rethep said:
Genesis - "Selling England by the pound" (1973).

Since last week i heard this one for the first time over my last (hifi)set. It was as if a curtain was lifted and i was blown away by the beauty of this music, again. For me it is the best sympho record ever made. And the sound is surprisingly good.

Then still with the voice of Peter Gabriel, and Phil Collins on drums, where he belonged, there is no weak song on this album. And it also has a big variety in songs. Phil Collins takes the leadvocal in one of them as he later (1975) would take over completely. I would not call this sympho-rock as it is not rock music. It is very subtle and has wide dynamics. Striking is the very 'natural' intelligent use of synths and mellotron. It contains some long numbers that have an outstandingly build-up like claasical music, which gave the name 'sympho' to it of course. For Genesis it was a big step forward after an already impressing start culminating in "Genesis Live" (also 1973), with an again really excelling Peter Gabriel.

Because of this renewed connection i had to redo my top 15 of all time albums. 10 out of 10 would be a bit to much, but 9 yes!

I’d say ‘Wind and Wuthering’ was up there alongside this. Phil Collins on vocals this time, but the melodies, soundscapes, arrangements and imagery are all just as ethereal and beautiful.

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
After Peter Gabriel left, i found Genesis developing in another direction. I bought "A trick of the tail" which was my 1st cd in 1984. It had filled up the empty space that Gabriel had left behind, nicely, but as in the last song it says: "For there's an angel standing in the sun, free to get back home". Although the remainig musicians were very good, in all Genesis material after that, i missed him too much.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Maybe best to post in the ‘what have I been listening to’ section of this site, as not much interest of people doing this on the hi Fi section.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Vladimir posted in response to a thread I put up not long ago. I’m not been able to imbed a picture from a url web address, as how do you find and copy the url picture. Most of them don’t have URL’s?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts