Album reviews

• Thread starter QuestForThe13thNote
  • Start date
Q

QuestForThe13thNote

anyone interested in doing this? No rules except score out of 10 and state music genre. Any year and any type of music. It’s quite good when they do this on some forums giving you something to look out for.

People then comment on the review, both positive and negative if so, and by doing so makes it easy to see who has similar tastes on the forum. Also makes you listen to it, so you can take a view. Maybe posters just say if you like it and if you want to, score it.

Maybe could have a rota and we do it once a week, so can take it in turns to choose the albums. I’ll administer. What do you reckon?

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
QuestForThe13thNote said:
anyone interested in doing this? No rules except score out of 10 and state music genre. Any year and any type of music. It’s quite good when they do this on some forums giving you something to look out for.

People then comment on the review, both positive and negative if so, and by doing so makes it easy to see who has similar tastes on the forum. Also makes you listen to it, so you can take a view. Maybe posters just say if you like it and if you want to, score it.

Maybe could have a rota and we do it once a week, so can take it in turns to choose the albums. I’ll administer. What do you reckon?

I write a blog about 3times a week reviewing albums, so not sure I would join n, but still think it's aood idea.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Its good hearing what people say in responses to a review, so you get to know peoples music tastes better.

If we’ve got 5 of us to start (5 reviews, once a week) this could get others interested. A few more takers to start this off?

When you get recommended an album that’s great and hits a chord, no better feeling!

OK . MY review of....The the. mind bomb. It's my favourite album.

Matt Johnson,johny Marr and Sinead O Connor.

From the beginning of Good morning beautiful you kind of get sucked in and then.........just listen to it....it easier than me trying to tell you..it's a good album.

Album reviews won't really work as well as they used to...as most folks on this site have a streaming service at their fingertips and only have to click a few buttons to listen to it....not as in days before streaming became mainstream (pardon the pun)When you really had to spend some cash and think about what your next three or four cd purchases would be.

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site

I'd love to do it...it could be a bit better here than some of these FB groups...? Some FB groups are good but still they introduce much trolling...here it would be interesting ( though a bit of trolling always will be ;) )

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
I start with the recent new album which I find really good ( as for new music ).

ToTheBone_digitalCover-Medium.jpg

RATING : 8 out of 10

GENRE : Progressive rock / Electronica

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Kate Bush, 50 Words for Snow 10 out of 10

Personally, I have never been a big fan of Kate Bush, but arguably she has to be one of the most innovative British female singer/songwriters ever to put pen to paper, or hand to keyboard.
"50 Words for Snow" is a magical album depicting Winter in all it's bleak beauty. Kate brings the listener 7 flurrying Wintery tales of longing, loss and unfulfilled love, largely set to a delicately played piano like falling snowflakes.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

grimharry

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
OK . MY review of....The the. mind bomb. It's my favourite album.

Matt Johnson,johny Marr and Sinead O Connor.

From the beginning of Good morning beautiful you kind of get sucked in and then.........just listen to it....it easier than me trying to tell you..it's a good album.

Album reviews won't really work as well as they used to...as most folks on this site have a streaming service at their fingertips and only have to click a few buttons to listen to it....not as in days before streaming became mainstream (pardon the pun)When you really had to spend some cash and think about what your next three or four cd purchases would be.
l

Good choice personally I prefer soul mining, infected is pretty good too

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

No what I was saying is that the person who is to do the review does it on the particular day or during that week, not in this thread, but they start a new thread titled ‘album review - xxxx,xxxx , Rock music’.

They then review it (length up to you) , say what they really like, what tracks they like etc, then score it out if 10. Everyone then comments and scores it, then another person does one the week after. I’ll keep a rota of whose turn it is, and lists of albums reviewed so not duplicated. If you get one everyone likes, it tends to be universally good, if not, you can see how people’s tastes differ etc.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

so lets start then with the following rota (once a week). So this week we start with Stereomans choice ;

1) stereoman

2) me

3) chrisbates1974

4) macspur

5) Mark rose smith

6). Grim harry

im sure these guys would contribute too

7) gazzip

8) electro

9) vladimir

10) insider

if people are enthusiastic to do it a lot we can do it twice a week etc. It would be useful to add links I think to Spotify or you tube videos etc so people can listen to it if they don’t have a streaming service. Most music is on you tube etc.

So if youd like to kick it off stereoman. Just title a new thread in the hifi forum ‘Album Review - band name, album name, genre’, put some comments about your review of the album you mentioned. What you like, how it strikes a chord with you, what tracks are good etc, then put a score out of 10, a link to the you tube video, or Spotify or tidal link etc, and a picture. Once done we can listen and then post comments and opinions.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

so lets start then with the following rota (once a week). So this week we start with Stereomans choice ;

1) stereoman

2) me

3) chrisbates1974

4) macspur

5) Mark rose smith

6). Grim harry

im sure these guys would contribute too

7) gazzip

8) electro

9) vladimir

10) insider

if people are enthusiastic to do it a lot we can do it twice a week etc. It would be useful to add links I think to Spotify or you tube videos etc so people can listen to it if they don’t have a streaming service. Most music is on you tube etc.

So if youd like to kick it off stereoman. Just title a new thread in the hifi forum ‘Album Review - band name, album name, genre’, put some comments about your review of the album you mentioned. What you like, how it strikes a chord with you, what tracks are good etc, then put a score out of 10, a link to the you tube video, or Spotify or tidal link etc, and a picture. Once done we can listen and then post comments and opinions.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

insider9 said:
Quest, thanks. But I'm not playing.

Taught by experience after what happended last time I'd rather not. You guys have fun.

the music tastes on this forum are much more varied than others, so you always find people who like similar stuff. I think the issue with varied tastes is more the opposite on that forum.

insider9

insider9 said:
Quest, thanks. But I'm not playing.

Taught by experience after what happended last time I'd rather not. You guys have fun.

the music tastes on this forum are much more varied than others, so you always find people who like similar stuff. I think the issue with varied tastes is more the opposite on that forum.

I agree and as you know I was quite enthusiastic about it last time. I just don't want to be constrained by rota and rules. I'm happy enough with recent activity discussing various music on vatious threads. Let see how it goes and we can always review in a bit :)

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Yes absolutely agree. No rules at all. No constraints. Just really about the music.

The only thing we need do is State in subject it’s an album review, artist name and album title. Then in the text, a review and score plus a link, that’s about it. Very simple.

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Yes absolutely agree. No rules at all. No constraints. Just really about the music.

The only thing we need do is State in subject it’s an album review, artist name and album title. Then in the text, a review and score plus a link, that’s about it. Very simple.

I'd love to do it. I agree that everyone can be a bit sceptical as everyone has their own taste...but still it's a nice idea. I'm in for this.

We should follow some layout rulesof the thread i.e:

A thread title :::

Album Review: Artist - Title Of The Album (intentionally with capital letters, each word)

Description

Album Cover Art (500 pxl x 500 pxl)

Rating

Links

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

stereoman said:

I'd love to do it. I agree that everyone can be a bit sceptical as everyone has their own taste...but still it's a nice idea. I'm in for this.

We should follow some layout rulesof the thread i.e:

A thread title :::

Album Review: Artist - Title Of The Album (intentionally with capital letters, each word)

Description

Album Cover Art (500 pxl x 500 pxl)

Rating

Links

yes my experience is keep that to a bare minimum, no need for caps etc, then it’s simple for people to get as insider says too. As long as the review has the same layout you used in the title, there is some comment on the review, and a score, that’s all that really matters. Most people have streaming or it’s possible to find the music on you tube, but great to include you tube or Spotify etc links and album cover pics if you want too.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I think an album review section is good. There seems to be about six on the go at the moment (it's probably less). I've always liked the idea of a thread "album of the week" instead of the current one about album of the day. I don't think most of us get to hear multiple albums everyday, and by having to chose your favourite of the week sorts out a lot of the chaff, and makes people make a discernible choice.
I don't think there needs to any strict rules. You should be able to make it as long winded or as brief as you like.
And is this for album reviews including bad ones, or recommended ones?

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
radiorog said:
I think an album review section is good. There seems to be about six on the go at the moment (it's probably less). I've always liked the idea of a thread "album of the week" instead of the current one about album of the day. I don't think most of us get to hear multiple albums everyday, and by having to chose your favourite of the week sorts out a lot of the chaff, and makes people make a discernible choice. I don't think there needs to any strict rules. You should be able to make it as long winded or as brief as you like. And is this for album reviews including bad ones, or recommended ones?

i think it’s got to be ones you buzz off or think are very good, so 8/10 or more. No good doing a review for one that’s 5/10,you’d probably not keep listening to it anyway, not least not want to bother reviewing it. 

In a way this is an album of the week as we are doing it every week, people aren’t constrained to any time of date of release. We don’t want to do it too much people loose interest in getting reviews every day, but not to infrequent too. Once a week is good and then people can review and listen to it. I reckon taking turns makes sense, as I’ve suggested and started. But we could just ‘have at it’ and post reviews whenever people feel like it ie no weekly rota. That might be better?? 

yeah exactly, long winded or as brief but would be a bit cr-p if someone just says ‘it’s great’, so just a few lines to sell it, if you don’t want to write much is I think a good idea. I thought it’s a good idea to review stuff and interest others as a way of getting into the music rather than countless posts of people posting tracks of the day etc, that I suspect is easier to turn a blind eye to most of it. Also if you see someone’s tastes from the reviews or their responses to reviews, you are keen to see what they come out with next and you can concentrate on noting peoples posts with similar tastes.  people obviously do that already but this is a good way of improving on that.
Sounds good. For me I think it would be good and realistic to post your fav album each week, and not have to wait ten weeks until your name hits the rota, if that's what the plan was?

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

radiorog said:
I think an album review section is good. There seems to be about six on the go at the moment (it's probably less). I've always liked the idea of a thread "album of the week" instead of the current one about album of the day. I don't think most of us get to hear multiple albums everyday, and by having to chose your favourite of the week sorts out a lot of the chaff, and makes people make a discernible choice. I don't think there needs to any strict rules. You should be able to make it as long winded or as brief as you like. And is this for album reviews including bad ones, or recommended ones?

Amended post

i think it’s got to be ones you buzz off or think are very good, so 8/10 or more. No good doing a review for one that’s 5/10,you’d probably not keep listening to it anyway, not least not want to bother reviewing it.

On reflection I think you are right radiorog that this idea we do it to a rota is silly. I think the point of forums is to take part as much or as little as you like, and only if a lot do it, does it work. If not we tried. So I think the best approach is not to have rules -post as many reviews as people want, and I will keep a list of peoples scores and the albums posted as they come up, in a master thread. But we just keep the same format-‘ album review : artist, album’, review then score.

yeah exactly, long winded or as brief but would be a bit cr-p if someone just says ‘it’s great’, so just a few lines to sell it, if you don’t want to write much is I think a good idea. I thought it’s a good idea to review stuff and interest others as a way of getting into the music rather than countless posts of people posting tracks of the day etc, that I suspect is easier to turn a blind eye to most of it. Also if you see someone’s tastes from the reviews or their responses to reviews, you are keen to see what they come out with next and you can concentrate on noting peoples posts with similar tastes. people obviously do that already but this is a good way of improving on that.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Yes I think you are right radiorog. I changed my post above (see change), as I think post as many reviews as people want but preferably your album of the week. When this has been tried before too many rules made people lack interest. It’s about the music after all.

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm certainly in.

For me though, there are time when I'm travelling for work and a rota won't suit. I'll certainly contribute reviews though. Perhaps one a month or so.

Looking forward to reading all of the contributions....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts