Album Review: Steven Wilson - To The Bone

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Steven Wilson a composer and singer from the "Porcupine Tree" band has just released his new solo album. The music has been described as a progressive rock / pop and prog electronica. His solo work differs much from much heavier sounding "Porcupine Tree" style. The album contains 11 melodious songs and offers very composed, thoughtfully arranged compositions. The whole album contains no fillers and as a whole is a journey into a well mastered rock and electronica sound. It is really one of the rare fresh new rock music albums that offers a good quality music that is so scarce nowadays. Wilson even joins Nina Tayeb and Sophie Hunger on two songs from the album. The singing cooperations with Wilson make great uplifitng tunes. The styles differ throughout the album. The "Detonation" shows a 10 minute tune that even veers towards some acid jazz at the end. Great vocals from Wilson and album sound make it all a really great recommendation not only to every progressive rock fan but to any who favours some good electronica and a bit of a leftfield pop rock.

91iacSq64JL._SL1500_.jpg

Rating - 8 out of 10

Links: http://spotify:album:37lL4QxxvHJ3SxFH2KtkDD

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

stereoman said:
Steven Wilson a composer and singer from the "Porcupine Tree" band has just released his new solo album. The music has been described as a progressive rock / pop and prog electronica. His solo work differs much from much heavier sounding "Porcupine Tree" style. The album contains 11 melodious songs and offers very composed, thoughtfully arranged compositions. The whole album contains no fillers and as a whole is a journey into a well mastered rock and electronica sound. It is really one of the rare fresh new rock music albums that offers a good quality music that is so scarce nowadays. Wilson even joins Nina Tayeb and Sophie Hunger on two songs from the album. The singing cooperations with Wilson make great uplifitng tunes. The styles differ throughout the album. The "Detonation" shows a 10 minute tune that even veers towards some acid jazz at the end. Great vocals from Wilson and album sound make it all a really great recommendation not only to every progressive rock fan but to any who favours some good electronica and a bit of a leftfield pop rock.

Rating - 8 out of 10

good one stereoman, thanks for kicking it off. I’ll have a listen to the whole album and let you know what I think of it. Cheers Simon.

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
QuestForThe13thNote said:
stereoman said:

Rating - 8 out of 10

good one stereoman, thanks for kicking it off. I’ll have a listen to the whole album and let you know what I think of it. Cheers Simon.

Just kicked it off as a try out, if it's gonna make sense here...we'll see.
thumbs_up.png

insider9

Great choice. One of the albums of the year for me. Very strong 8/10 if not more. It's the kind of an album that has a very broad appeal incorporating many genres. It's one that appears simple on the surface but keeps on giving on repeat listens.

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
insider9 said:
Great choice. One of the albums of the year for me. Very strong 8/10 if not more. It's the kind of an album that has a very broad appeal incorporating many genres. It's one that appears simple on the surface but keeps on giving on repeat listens.

thumbs_up.png
glad you like it...

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I quite like this album, I've given it a 7/10. It's certainly more accessible than his previous solo offerings. My problem with Steven Wilson is that I don't think he's done anything comparable to his Stupid Dream/In Absentia/Deadwing albums from his Porcupine Tree days. I've still bought everything he's done but keep going back time and time again to that era PT rather than repeat plays of his more recent offerings. Having said that, I absolutely love the Blackfield Live in NYC album, a minor classic if you ask me.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I like the rock and prog rock genre, but I must admit I don’t listen to this genre a lot, no matter.....

I listened all the way through again and someone had recommended this earlier in the year where I had listened to it. On the positive side I found some of his arrangements good, and his vocal is strong and sometimes it has lots of rhythm and a good vibe.

But I just found it lacked all out musical excitement with any good melodies that would really stimulate the senses. Also on originality scores the typical rock soundscapes are not that original. I reckon this would be quite good to listen to live, like the track Detonation and the Guitars riffing all over the place. I’d give it 6/10.

rainsoothe

insider9 said:

+1 to this. Same as Hand Cannot Erase

TRENDING THREADS