Question AK70 + Chord Mojo or AK A+Norma upgrade?

Bruxie

Jan 17, 2020
Visit site
I have an Astell & Kern AK70.
I'm considering an upgrade to an AK A&Norma SR15 or buying a Chord Mojo to go with the AK70.

What in your opinion would be the best sound quality option?
I have Shure SE535 earphones.
I play Flac files from the AK70 at present.

Impressed but want better if possible.

Bruxie

Jan 17, 2020
Visit site
Don't think I'd have a DAP connected to a DAC ever. If you feel the need for an upgrade why not change DAP and/or IEMs?

Your post has got me thinking...

It's a given that digital Flac files can be held on any compatible device - a 'phone, a tablet or a DAP. It doesn't matter what they are "held" on it's the extraction that matters.

Ergo - A 'phone with a superior DAC with IEMs will out-perform a 'phone without a DAC with IEMs. So having a DAP linked to a Chord MoJo will not out perform a 'phone played through a MoJo - because the extraction is performed by the same MoJo DAC.

That's the question that I want proven. Is a Flac source from a smartphone + MoJo as good as a DAP + MoJo?
Bearing in mind the earphone sockets on a smartphone stink, then the MoJo attachment is crucial. It has to be via a mini USB.

By the way, as I mentioned, I use Shure SE535s as my IEM choice. Cannot yet afford the SE846s.

DAP has its advantages like separate battery with extra life. If you don't need this having a card full of music loaded onto your phone that's connected to a DAC could give you an upgrade you're looking for.
This is possible but seeing the OP already has a DAP which includes a very respectable DAC chip I fail to see it is of any benefit unless you are suggesting he sells it on.
As an avid DAP user whilst away at work I consider DAPs superior because of storage rather than battery life, although this is a fact. My DAP has two dac chips and, as far as I am aware, isn't going to be bettered by an external DAC whose extra cost would seem to defeat the object of having an all in one device.
For me the only way onwards and upwards is to upgrade my iem which I have done with great success more than once.
Upgrading to the Norma is quite expensive and I am not too sure the sound quality would be hugely different to what he currently has. I'd suggest only an audition will resolve this question.
I am a great believer, having heard many DACs, that expense does not necessarily bring improvement, certainly in a bangs for bucks scenario, what it does bring is a different presentation of your music. Whether you deem that new presentation as better is very much down to the individual.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts