Airport Express - Multi Room System?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi Guys, I have learnt a lot about digital music & its setup from all your helpful advice on these forums.

I am now at my next stage. I have just purchase a Cyrus system for a second room, and Musical Fidelity in my main room.

Is it possible to purchase 2 Airport Expresses and have each one playing music on the 2 seperate systems, either at the same time or seperate times? Can iTunes handle/manage 2 or maybe even more in the future Airport Expresses?

Love the Digital Era - for convenience:)

Thx & Apologises if this has already been asked and I have missed it.

A

Anonymous

Juzzie Wuzzie -Excellent Thanks, just to clarify as your getting me excited now....
emotion-2.gif

so I can have 2 or more AEs in my house(with Wifi) and my 1xiPhone Remote can control each system from 1xPC - And they will all play the same music in different rooms?

A

Anonymous

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MB321B/A/AirPort-Express-AirTunes?mco=NDc4MTk1OQ

Thats the link to the Airport Express - is there a digital connection? It says the minijack is anologue/digital - but what cable is that?

I need to connect the AE to my CA DacMagic- whats the best method
emotion-2.gif

John Duncan

Yep the AE has a digital out in its headphone socket, you just need a normal optical digital cable with a mini-toslink adapter on the end. I got mine from Maplins with an adapter thrown in for a tenner or fifteen quid (I forget).

lordmortlock

May 21, 2008
Visit site
It works an absolute treat Vinny. Just tap the screen of the remote app and it brings up the name of your airports - bedroom, kitchen or living room in my case. then you can select which ones you want, including all of them. Add Airfoil to your PC/Mac and stream sounds off the computer. Great for spotify, My space, Iplayer etc.

John Duncan

lordmortlock:It works an absolute treat Vinny. Just tap the screen of the remote app and it brings up the name of your airports - bedroom, kitchen or living room in my case. then you can select which ones you want, including all of them. Add Airfoil to your PC/Mac and stream sounds off the computer. Great for spotify, My space, Iplayer etc.

Yeah to me airfoil is kind of obligatory for those computer sources that aren't available through iTunes - BBC Radio and Spotify being my two obvious uses. Bought another copy of AF for the lappie last night and had one of those sessions with Spotify which in the olden days would have had me clearing up 100 CDs and LPs from the living room floor this morning...

lordmortlock

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I used to get that all the time when everyone would pile back to mine after a night out. Nothing got put away, cases stood on etc. Now we just argue over control of the iphone.

John Duncan

probably somewhere, but not here I don't think. If you stick a DAC on the end they should be the same pretty much, but no doubt the quality of their analogue output will vary. There's tell of the Squeezebox Duet being much better than the classic through its analogue outs for starters.

I know people don't expect much of the AE analogue out, and it's pretty noisy if you stick some headphones in and listen for the hum, but in day to day usage I'm sure it would satisfy 90% of people's needs...(notwithstanding the fact that the other 10% are most of the people here
emotion-2.gif
)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts