Air and Magic

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through"?

They do say, Mr D, that verbal insults hurt more than physical pain. They are, of course, wrong, as you will soon discover when I stick this toasting fork into your head

A

Anonymous

All computers are prone to error - Apple's are alot less prone then PC's, also if your mac goes wrong just take into an Apple Store and they'll fix it.

I'm getting to be quite a fan of Apple, the Apple TV is awesome!

A

Anonymous

thrillis75:
also if your mac goes wrong just take into an Apple Store and they'll fix it.ÿ

If only. And if you don't have the care plan and it's over a year the repairs are extortionate.

A

Anonymous

PJPro:I didn't realise that Apples were soooo unreliable. My PCs seem to last forever. They tend to get binned when I can't be bother to upgarde them anymore.

And you're right Joel. This thread is in the wrong forum!

apples.jpg

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Octopo:thrillis75:
also if your mac goes wrong just take into an Apple Store and they'll fix it.ÿ

If only. And if you don't have the care plan and it's over a year the repairs are extortionate.

We have the 3 year Apple Care plan on our iMac (16 months of that left). But if it went wrong we would have to drive it 28 miles to the nearest Apple shop and maybe have to leave it there and collect it at some undetermined time in the future.

Our Dells have always been covered with 3 or 4 year onsite/next working day cover. (Now includes w/ends and evenings).

We had to use the Dell service twice (PSU and LCD screen replacement) and both times the local engineer telephoned us - the same evening the call-out was made - to arrange a convenient time for us! Both times the replacements were done well within 24 hours. From what I have been told by other Apple owners (including colleagues) Apple service is pretty kraap so I count myself lucky we have never had to put it to the test.

I would never put anything critical or work related onto our iMac and I doubt we will get another one. I prefer a company that comes to me to fix stuff.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Just to gain a bit of perspective on this forum, I would never put anything 'critical' on to a PC or a Mac unless it was backed up. Doesn't matter what technology you're using, a hard drive is a hard drive and whether you're using OS X, Windows XP or Vista, Linux or MS DOS as your operating system, if that hard drive fails, you've lost your data (unless you have contacts in the hard drive recovery business, or a lot of money to spend in that business).

In all honesty though, I've so far not ever found anything I've ever needed critically which I can store on any hard drive so I don't worry about it too much. Yup, if my Mac hard drive died, it would be inconvienient, but I really can't think of anything truly 'critical' which would ever be on there and, even if it was, it certainly wouldn't be the only copy I had!

A

Anonymous

Correct in pointing this out prof, there are a couple of things I failed to mention during my eulogy:

1) The relatively small price of the Apple care plan gives you freedom of mind for three years by which time the computer will be way behind the times anyway.

2) It is always wise to keep all of your data backed up externally. I have scratch disks locally that are backed up to my NAS allowing clients to see work as I let them whilst keeping it safe with RAID (bar fire or theft in which case I will move to Las Vegas and call myself Tony Montana).

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Pats hand on mouth whilst emitting 'Aaaaaahhh' sound, followed by eyes gently closing...

There's only one thing less reliable than a computer and that's he's called Gazza. If you lot want to waste half your lives loading music onto computers and backing them up on expensive Gigaboxes in preparation of the inevitable crash/fire/theft/virus etc then enjoy. Me? I'll stick with the old way of loading CDs and sitting back to enjoy it.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
professorhat:Just to gain a bit of perspective on this forum, I would never put anything 'critical' on to a PC or a Mac unless it was backed up. Doesn't matter what technology you're using, a hard drive is a hard drive and whether you're using OS X, Windows XP or Vista, Linux or MS DOS as your operating system, if that hard drive fails, you've lost your data (unless you have contacts in the hard drive recovery business, or a lot of money to spend in that business)

Yes of course. All our 3 systems are backed up regularly to external HD (bootable, clone backups) and I keep an 'offsite' copy - rotated each month - in my locked desk at work.

The point I was making was that if anything critical went down because of our iMac failing, then it could be days or weeks before repairs were complete (plus two round-trip 56 mile drives to deliver it and collect it) whereas if anything critical went down with our Dells then the technician would be around to our house to fix it within 24 hours.

In both instances the 3 year cover plans cost about the same as a percentage of the cost of the computer.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
JoelSim:If you lot want to waste half your lives loading music onto computers and backing them up on expensive Gigaboxes in preparation of the inevitable crash/fire/theft/virus etc then enjoy. Me? I'll stick with the old way of loading CDs and sitting back to enjoy it.

Ah, but Joel - I still have the originals on CD if and when the HDD does go.

And besides - I have a 6 year old daughter who finds it a fun game to feed the computer with discs and swap them when it spits it out after ripping...job done!

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:

inevitable crash/fire/theft/virus etc then enjoy. Me? I'll stick with the old way of loading CDs and sitting back to enjoy it.

Yep, them Sinatra CDs will survive just about anything.

ÿ

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
fatboyslimfast:JoelSim:If you lot want to waste half your lives loading music onto computers and backing them up on expensive Gigaboxes in preparation of the inevitable crash/fire/theft/virus etc then enjoy. Me? I'll stick with the old way of loading CDs and sitting back to enjoy it.

Ah, but Joel - I still have the originals on CD if and when the HDD does go.

And besides - I have a 6 year old daughter who finds it a fun game to feed the computer with discs and swap them when it spits it out after ripping...job done!

My cds are boxed up in the garage. My pc is in my bedroom and I have an external HD (baak up of music files) which is in one of my drawers. The likelihood of a thief getting all my music is very remote. However, if you just have cds on display in your front room....

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:My cds are boxed up in the garage. My pc is in my bedroom and I have an external HD (baak up of music files) which is in one of my drawers. The likelihood of a thief getting all my music is very remote. However, if you just have cds on display in your front room....

Your friends nick them - see my other post!

At least from now on I'll have a lossless backup of all my CDs!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
When the CEO of Primare - producer of some of hi-fi's finest CD players - tells me (as he did last week) that he does his music listening via this these days, I know the times are indeed a'changing....

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
JoelSim:If you lot want to waste half your lives loading music onto computers and backing them up on expensive Gigaboxes in preparation of the inevitable crash/fire/theft/virus etc then enjoy. Me? I'll stick with the old way of loading CDs and sitting back to enjoy it.

The backups are done by any sane person regardless of whether there is lots of music on the computer or not. Backing up a system is good sense whatever you keep on it.

Rip CDs/tracks when you want to hear them anyway. Only adds a couple of minutes to the process and it is a one-time effort. You can get through most of the favourites in your collection this way.

You don't even wait for minutes. As soon as the first track is loaded (seconds) it will play whilst the others are being processed.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
JoelSim:
Pats hand on mouth whilst emitting 'Aaaaaahhh' sound, followed by eyes gently closing...

There's only one thing less reliable than a computer and that's he's called Gazza. If you lot want to waste half your lives loading music onto computers and backing them up on expensive Gigaboxes in preparation of the inevitable crash/fire/theft/virus etc then enjoy. Me? I'll stick with the old way of loading CDs and sitting back to enjoy it.

Well, if your house burns down, you've lost the lot. If my house burns down, as long as it does spread to the garage, I'll still have all my CDs, photos and videos of the kids on my external backup HDD. So not a complete waste of time.

Music or not, I assume you have some photos/videos you'd rather not lose.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts