Question Ageing Amplifier and speakers

redcell

Aug 18, 2008
Visit site
I have a 23 year old Sony TA-F44E amplifier and 18 year old Eltax Liberty 5+ floorstanding speakers that I am quite happy with. However, as I shall be emigrating to South America very soon, I wonder if I should splash out on renewing these before heading off. Currently looking at Audiolab 6000A amplifier with Dali Oberon 5 (Q Acoustic 3050i seem too big for the lounge).

Additional items I have Marantz 6005 CD player and Pro-Ject RPM5 record deck with Ortofon 510

Any suggestions & advice on whether I should leave well alone or take the plunge will be gratefully received. Cheers

redcell

Aug 18, 2008
Visit site
No problem with voltage, I only need to change the plugs! Lived in Chile before (over 10 years ago) and my hifi worked fine (including the record deck) as did all other electrics. My concern is there are few/ no decent AV shops (just big stores like John Lewis), so potentially it would be (probably) USA equipment. Not too sure I would like their equipment.

Sounds like some demoing is in order. It's perfectly possible to be happy as you are, but sometimes you have only to hear something better to realise what you have been missing.

Difficult to choose speakers without knowing the size of room they will end up in, though.

rainsoothe

+1 for auditioning, but why not look at the Marantz PM 6006 since you have the matching cdp? The Audiolab might be a bit too clinical (but again, do audition). You should also consider Rega Brio and Musical Fidelity M2si.

redcell

Aug 18, 2008
Visit site
Thanks rainsoothe (and 12th Monkey). I had thought about the PM6006 but whilst I am thinking of replacement (especially the amp), I should move 'upmarket' - if only one step! I listen to CD and vinyl (no streaming) and wondered what the accepted percentage split of finances for amplifier/ speakers currently is (with CD player £300 and turntable £350, how much should I be looking at for the amp and speakers)? My previous (Sony) CD player died after 20 years and I bought the Marantz without really looking at future potential purchases.

The Audiolab 6000 had the advantage of Bluetooth, which may come in handy; Musical Fidelity does not have a phono input and was discarded (I really do not want to have a separate phono amp).

As you can see from the age of my equipment I do not change unless needed. However, with the age of 70 on the horizon I am looking at (probably) a last move in 'updating' my audio system. Further information - I listen to all genres of music (other than metal rock bands and C&W)!

I am most grateful for your help and advice.

redcell

Aug 18, 2008
Visit site
Sorry AI Ears...one has to draw the line at some 'forms' of music:smirk:. Yes, moving lock, stock and barrel and need to ensure once there I do not need to start worrying about my aural (yes, I have spelt it correctly) pleasures!

rainsoothe

Thanks rainsoothe (and 12th Monkey). I had thought about the PM6006 but whilst I am thinking of replacement (especially the amp), I should move 'upmarket' - if only one step! I listen to CD and vinyl (no streaming) and wondered what the accepted percentage split of finances for amplifier/ speakers currently is (with CD player £300 and turntable £350, how much should I be looking at for the amp and speakers)? My previous (Sony) CD player died after 20 years and I bought the Marantz without really looking at future potential purchases.

The Audiolab 6000 had the advantage of Bluetooth, which may come in handy; Musical Fidelity does not have a phono input and was discarded (I really do not want to have a separate phono amp).

As you can see from the age of my equipment I do not change unless needed. However, with the age of 70 on the horizon I am looking at (probably) a last move in 'updating' my audio system. Further information - I listen to all genres of music (other than metal rock bands and C&W)!

I am most grateful for your help and advice.
Check out the Cyrus One HD, I think it has all the stuff you need (remote costs extra, I think, but it's controlable via smartphone) and sounds great - I completely disagree with the WHF review (it's got top marks elsewhere). Or Quad Vena 2. But demo all you can, Audiolab too. The Creek is also pretty nice.

redcell

Aug 18, 2008
Visit site
Check out the Cyrus One HD, I think it has all the stuff you need (remote costs extra, I think, but it's controlable via smartphone) and sounds great - I completely disagree with the WHF review (it's got top marks elsewhere). Or Quad Vena 2. But demo all you can, Audiolab too. The Creek is also pretty nice.
Thanks for this, some amplifiers that did not appear on my horizon! Will follow up.

D

Deleted member 116933

Id just change the amp and speakers leave the rest as is.

I'd add Rotel to the list nice gusty little amps loads of bang for the buck, not mentioned much. And maybe the Rega io newly released and seems to get good right ups. Then you have NAD as well.

Speaker wise just pick your poison once you have chosen your amp

Personally I wouldn't buy any of this before you move, I'd uses the £-$ to my advantage and get more for my money. Though having said that the British brand can get expensive abroad, Marantz, Yamaha, Rotel and others seem to be cheaper and you'll have other stuff that's not even mentioned here or even known of.

redcell

Aug 18, 2008
Visit site
Id just change the amp and speakers leave the rest as is.

I'd add Rotel to the list nice gusty little amps loads of bang for the buck, not mentioned much. And maybe the Rega io newly released and seems to get good right ups. Then you have NAD as well.

Speaker wise just pick your poison once you have chosen your amp

Personally I wouldn't buy any of this before you move, I'd uses the £-$ to my advantage and get more for my money. Though having said that the British brand can get expensive abroad, Marantz, Yamaha, Rotel and others seem to be cheaper and you'll have other stuff that's not even mentioned here or even known of.
I am thinking just the amp and speakers. Cost in Chile is not as cheap as one would expect (having lived there for 3 years a while ago). Also, when living on £p the exchange rate can occasionally get a little worrying! I would rather take the plunge now than hunt for European HiFi when there.

TRENDING THREADS