2 3-way floorstanding speakers on a 5.1 amplifier

Remigino

Mar 30, 2016
Visit site
Hi y'all

Quick question: Can I set my sound system with only 2 3-way floorstanding speakers on a 5.1 amplifier (no subwoofer, no rear speakers)?

To give a bit of context, I don't want 5 speakers in my room, I don't care much for surround for now, my tv and music players will be plugged into the 5.1 amp which i'll be using for both,

The idea is being able to scale up once I need to set up a real 5.1 setting, for now i'd like to use only 2 front speakers, no sub, no rear,

Is it possible? What's the trade-off?

Cheers!

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Remigino said:
Hi y'all

Quick question: Can I set my sound system with only 2 3-way floorstanding speakers on a 5.1 amplifier (no subwoofer, no rear speakers)?

To give a bit of context, I don't want 5 speakers in my room, I don't care much for surround for now, my tv and music players will be plugged into the 5.1 amp which i'll be using for both,

The idea is being able to scale up once I need to set up a real 5.1 setting, for now i'd like to use only 2 front speakers, no sub, no rear,

Cheers!

In a word yes. In your AV receiver's settings there should be the facility to tell the amp which channels have speakers attached to it. On mine you can select small, large or none. If you select none for unused channels it will help the 2 channels you are using to make the most of the amp's power supply.

If your speakers are bi-wirable, you might consider bi-amping the 2 speakers you do have. In the future when all channels are in use, there's likely less of an advantage because in any AV receiver you're ultimately restricted by the one power supply in the unit, but if you're only using two speakers, you may consider it. It might be worth the cost of a bit of extra speaker cable to try it.

Have you purchased any of this kit already?

It's a good idea to think ahead. Some speaker ranges that offer floorstanders also provide true bi-pole / di-pole speakers for the rears (such as Monitor Audio Bronze, Silver and Gold ranges), whereas other manufacturers (like Q Acoustics) only offer small standmount speakers as rears, which might effect placement in your room.

Remigino said:
Hi y'all

Cheers!

Welcome to the forum. Yes of course this is possible. What amplifier do you have?

Connect your speakers as the two front speakers and you should be able to assign them somewhere in the set-up.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
2 fronts and centre speaker
It will sound good also.

If you have floorstanding left and right fronts, and set to large you may not feel the need for a sub.

What amp have you?

Remigino

Mar 30, 2016
Visit site
Thx guys for the answers,

I have not purchased the kit yet, i'm planning on buying the Denon s910 amp and as for the speakers I haven't decided,

By Bi-amping you mean wire the speakers to the front and back entries of the amp right?

What about the Sub, would the amp efficiently "redirect" the bass frecuency to the front speakers?

Adding a central speaker is a good idea, especially for TV, what fundamentals characteristics should the speakers (Central, Left & Right) have giving the configuration?

Thanks tons

Remigino said:
Thx guys for the answers,

I have not purchased the kit yet, i'm planning on buying the Denon s910 amp and as for the speakers I haven't decided,

By Bi-amping you mean wire the speakers to the front and back entries of the amp right?

What about the Sub, would the amp efficiently "redirect" the bass frecuency to the front speakers?

Adding a central speaker is a good idea, especially for TV, what fundamentals characteristics should the speakers (Central, Left & Right) have giving the configuration?

Thanks tons

You cannot bit-amp with a single amplifier.

The amp sends full frequency range to all connected speakers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts