AE1 Active

Samd

Hoping to buy these shortly but I use an Anthem AVR 520 for music duties as well as 5.1 - couple of questions please:

1. Presume connect RCA leads to Pre out (vol controlled) rather than line outs on the AVR?

2. Will Anthem Room Correction work OK with speakers connected to pre outs?

Thanks

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
There's literally an 8-page still-live thread about these speakers, how you missed it seeing it would have been at or near the top of the HiFi forum when you posted is a mystery, but anything you're ever likely to need to know is almost certainly already answered within it:

https://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/acoustic-energy-ae1active

I'm sure someone will still be along shortly who can answer your specific questions. :)

Samd

MajorFubar said:
There's literally an 8-page still-live thread about these speakers, how you missed it seeing it would have been at or near the top of the HiFi forum when you posted is a mystery, but anything you're ever likely to need to know is almost certainly already answered within it:

https://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/acoustic-energy-ae1active

I'm sure someone will still be along shortly who can answer your specific questions. :)

It was that thread which started my interest but I did not want to clutter it with specific questions. I have already spoken on the phone to AE Jim who, understandably, did not know the answer to a question really about Anthem rather than his product.

daveh75

Samd said:
Hoping to buy these shortly but I use an Anthem AVR 520 for music duties as well as 5.1 - couple of questions please:

1. Presume connect RCA leads to Pre out (vol controlled) rather than line outs on the AVR?

Thanks

Yes to both.

Samd

insider9 said:
I'd suggest checking the manual on the Anthem. My guess would be pre outs would not do room correction.

Thanks - nothing in the manual other than

PREAMP OUTPUTS
The pre-outs are variable according to the volume control and can be used with external amplification

Samd

daveh75 said:
Samd said:

Thanks

Yes to both.

Sorry Dave but could you expand on the Room Correction point please?

daveh75

Samd said:
daveh75 said:
Samd said:

Thanks

Yes to both.

I'm not sure what else there is to say?

It makes no difference to the Room correction/EQ s/w whether you're feeding passives from the integrated amplification, feeding actives from pre-outs or indeed a stereo amp and passives connected via pre-outs and don't really understand why anyone would think it would..

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Room correction will work on the pre-outs as well.

In a AVR, the Dolby track is decoded into linear pcm first. Then room correction takes place in the digital domain. Then this multi channel track is sent to their respective DAC's. Then the analog signal is sent to pre-outs and power amp section.

Samd

daveh75 said:
Samd said:
daveh75 said:
Samd said:

Thanks

Yes to both.

I'm not sure what else there is to say?

It makes no difference to the Room correction/EQ s/w whether you're feeding passives from the integrated amplification, feeding actives from pre-outs or indeed a stereo amp and passives connected via pre-outs and don't really understand why anyone would think it would..

Dave, I'm sure on your many sojourns through this site you have noticed different and differing levels of knowledge. Mine, on the most sophisticated of measuring devices, registers just the merest flicker.

On my previous AVR, there was 'amp assign' but nothing similar with Anthem. At my most dumb, how would I tell the AVR to send the Room Correction test tones for the front speakers through the pre-outs?

Colour me thick.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts