Advise needed on Arcam Alpha - UPDATED: Arcam a85 or Rega Brio 3?

steffy72004

Jan 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

I have the chance to purchase second hand an Arcam Alpha 8 integrated amplifier in perfect condition. Is it still a good amp? Any opinions? Also, I know has a pre out, so I was wondering if in the future could make any sense to add a power amplifier. Would it be a good combination?

Thank you!

A

Anonymous

I had an Arcam Alpha 8 amp hooked up to B&W 601 S2s and I loved it. It is quite a laid back listen so wasnt very good for dance music IMO. I then added an Alpha 8P power amp and that gave it a lot more oomoh and I used this combination happily for many years without complaint.

From what I gather your Acoustic Energy speakers can be quite forward, maybe even harsh sounding with the wrong components but at a guess I would think because of this they would partner really well with the Arcam.

I would say that if you go for the amp adding a power amp later is a great cost effective upgrade.

steffy72004:

Hi,

I have the chance to purchase second hand an Arcam Alpha 8 integrated amplifier in perfect condition. Is it still a good amp? Any opinions? Also, I know has a pre out, so I was wondering if in the future could make any sense to add a power amplifier. Would it be a good combination?

Thank you!

The Alpha 8 is still a very good amp, although can't comment on AE speakers. But I do know the perfect speaker match for Arcam is Monitor Audio; they are fairly bright, which really combines well with Arcam's slightly relaxed character.

Also agree, Arcam really comes to life when bi-amped to any of their power amps. Even on its own, the Alpha 8 is a good amp indeed.

T

the record spot

Weight up the cost of both, the 8 and the 8P and see if buying a secondhand Alpha 10 (or 9) might be a good alternative. They're going for around £250, the 9 a bit less, and are superb by all accounts. Worth considering IMO, the 10 in particular is good VFM given it was highly regarded, cost around the £900 mark and you can still partner it with a 10P power amp in time. That is a tasty proposition IMO and one that'll lick plenty of the current crop out there.

You may find the plasticky fascia not to your taste, although if you're considering the 8/8P, then this presumably isn't an issue.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
As above really.

I had my first Arcam Alpha amps with AE speakres (109's then 120's) and they partnered very well together.

IMO you'd be best to either sell and buy the Arcam Alpha 10 integrated (bags of power and a superb sound) OR try and aim for an Arcam Alpha 9 power amp and use that to run the LF on the speakers and use the Alpha 8 integrated to run the HF on your speakers.

steffy72004

Jan 25, 2009
Visit site
Thanks to everyone for the precious suggestions! Now I found out I could grab an A85 for a little more.....would it be sensibly better?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
The Arcam DiVA A85 integrated amp was a little beauty so if you can get one at a sensible price then I'd go for it.

Again, as with the Alpha series, you can always look to adfd the matching power amp (Arcam DiVA P85) or the P90 at a later date.

steffy72004:Thanks to everyone for the precious suggestions! Now I found out I could grab an A85 for a little more.....would it be sensibly better?

Echoing d_a_n 1979's sentiments, it's a very good amp. If you can get it for less than 350, snap it up....

Good luck.

steffy72004

Jan 25, 2009
Visit site
Ok, I know that I can look a bit crazy now......but just when I was decided to go for the Arcam a85, comes out I can buy a perfect as new Rega Brio 3 for less than the a85.......taking in mind that I listen to especially jazz ( most vocal) and classic, would you suggest to stick with the Arcam or go for Rega? Please help, as I need to make a quick decision......thanks a lot!!!

A

Anonymous

It is only my opinion but I would go for the arcam as it lends itself very well to jazz as I,m reluctant to replace my amps & speakers .

They do give a relaxing sound .

Kev

scene

I have an Arcam A85 - which I've had from new and had the optional phono stage added. It's great with jazz, classical, old style instrumental and prog rock, heavy rock, etc. It's a great amp. I'm on the hunt for a P85 / P90 to make it sound even better (scratch that upgrade itch). Partnered with the right speakers - I've got MA Silver 8i's, which might be a little too fulsome for jazz, but sure fill my 6mx6m living room - it is a brilliant amp and I can't recommend it enough.

tenergy

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Have the Brio3. Love it. The main issue I have with it though is that the 49w its rated for seems wanting in SOME cases. There, I've said it. Likewise, there is the niggling matter of not having a remote to power it off or on when you're just too lazy to move after a couple hours of inertia. Other than that, it's a great, sturdy and reliable little amp that will serve you well until your nips reach your knees.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
I've had the Brio 3 for a while and I'm not very positive about it. The amp has little power so when you want to play a litte louder the amp becomes unlistenable. Most budget amps (nad, marantz, rotel) are better than the Brio 3 IMO.

I would also stick with the Arcam A85.

A

Anonymous

I prefer the rega, more soundstage and more hi-fi than the arcam IMO. maybe the extra wattage in the mira 3 would be an idea. partnered with a decent source for great synegy.

A

Anonymous

I can recommend the Alpha 10 Integrated amp bi-amped with the Alpha 10 P. Have used this combination for a number of years now first with Mission 764i speakers, then with Mission 753s, now on Proac Response D15s. Adding the bi-amped 10P at some point will give you a step change in sound quality. Recently upgraded the cable to Chord Super twin bi-wire (not sure that was a smart move as it has made little real difference) The A10 amps were top of the range when launched and still cut it on their own or twinned together. I'm on an upgrade path myself but am leaving the amps in place until all the other components have been upgraded. CD player is next step and no idea as to what.

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
JoelSim:
The A85 is a great amp, and much better than the alpha 7 I had before it.

Stunning with the P85 too.

I agree, I sold mine and I miss 'em a bit. Had them biamped with my B&W DM603S3 and sounded great.

TRENDING THREADS