Advise needed for network receiver

hey all,

thats my first post here. After searching online for a while, I still haven't found what I'm looking for and hope this is the right forum to perhabs get some advise. I'd like to get a stereo (or AV) receiver with the following features, but haven't found a single one that has them all:

- streaming via airplay/google cast/DLNA

- DAB+ radio

- optical input & HDMI ARC

- 2.4 & 5Ghz Wifi and Ethernet

- good sound quality

and want to use it with a pair of Dynaudio Emit M10 speakers. Seems like not too much to ask for, but I haven't found a single model that supports it all, especially the combination DLNA & DAB+. The Sony STR-DN1070 looks great, but lacks DAB+. The Onkyo TX-L20D has DAB+, but lacks DLNA. If anyone has some advice, I'd be very grateful!

cheers, Johannes

Johannes Wagner said:
hey all,

thats my first post here. After searching online for a while, I still haven't found what I'm looking for and hope this is the right forum to perhabs get some advise. I'd like to get a stereo (or AV) receiver with the following features, but haven't found a single one that has them all:

- streaming via airplay/google cast/DLNA

- DAB+ radio

- optical input & HDMI ARC

- 2.4 & 5Ghz Wifi and Ethernet

- good sound quality

and want to use it with a pair of Dynaudio Emit M10 speakers. Seems like not too much to ask for, but I haven't found a single model that supports it all, especially the combination DLNA & DAB+. The Sony STR-DN1070 looks great, but lacks DAB+. The Onkyo TX-L20D has DAB+, but lacks DLNA. If anyone has some advice, I'd be very grateful!

cheers, Johannes

Google cast might be a tricky one too. What's your budget? Believe the Onkyo R-N855 does everything you eant but its around £550. Having said that it may not have HDMI. Guess you will need to look more at home cinema receivers for that.

Or possibly the Onkyo TX-L20D (although wifi only likely to be 2.4GHz)

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
What about the Onkyo mentioned and this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neet%C2%AE-Wireless-Receiver-wireless-streaming/dp/B00O0U37HO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1477546844&sr=8-1&keywords=dnla+receiver

If it needs to be one option this doesnt help. If however you are looking for just music the Sony BDP 5500 had DNLA and you can stream from laptop to play music. It has a co-axial out so can go straight into the receiver while using the pc as the music source

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I'd just remove DAB+ from your list of wants - it'd make the job much easier. Virtually all AV receivers (and many stereo receivers) will be able to access Internet Radio, which is often of comparable quality but offers a much greater choice. Many radio stations have excellent apps too.

In my opinion, DAB was out-of-date when it was launched and has been quickly superceded by something superior.

The Onky TX-8150 I checked already, and bascially would be one of my favourites. Missing Google Cast and HDMI was the only caveat there. HDMI would be ok if its missing. But as me and my girlfriend have Android phones, GoogleCast should be present :( Perhaps the new 2016/17 successor will get it?

hey,

both the Onkyo R-N855 and TX-L20D seem not have DLNA. Onkyo sometimes doesn't advertise it, as it does with Airplay or GoogleCast, but I found neither on the DLNA certification database (https://www.dlna.org/products/) whereas the TX-8150 is listed. DLNA is a must since I myself stream from my linux pc. Seems so stupid that you can have one or the other feature, but not both.

Pricewise as long as its well below 1000Eur, should be fine. The DAB+ is probably the feature I'll use the least, even though in my region theres now plenty of channels available.

Thats why the Sony STR-DN1070 looked like the best compromise, but I'd pay for some 7.2 featuers that I'm never gonna use. I have two nice speakers, and wanted to leave them as is.

Leeps said:
Personally, I'd just remove DAB+ from your list of wants - it'd make the job much easier. Virtually all AV receivers (and many stereo receivers) will be able to access Internet Radio, which is often of comparable quality but offers a much greater choice. Many radio stations have excellent apps too.

In my opinion, DAB was out-of-date when it was launched and has been quickly superceded by something superior.

I sort of agree, but some of our local radio stations moved to DAB+, don't have an internet stream and quality wise I really like DAB+ over FM. Without DAB+ I'd probably go for the Sony 1070, but have to say it's quite bulky for all those surround channels that I'm not going to use. Thanks for the thought though.

Johannes Wagner said:
hey,

both the Onkyo R-N855 and TX-L20D seem not have DLNA. Onkyo sometimes doesn't advertise it, as it does with Airplay or GoogleCast, but I found neither on the DLNA certification database (https://www.dlna.org/products/) whereas the TX-8150 is listed. DLNA is a must since I myself stream from my linux pc. Seems so stupid that you can have one or the other feature, but not both.

Pricewise as long as its well below 1000Eur, should be fine. The DAB+ is probably the feature I'll use the least, even though in my region theres now plenty of channels available.

Thats why the Sony STR-DN1070 looked like the best compromise, but I'd pay for some 7.2 featuers that I'm never gonna use. I have two nice speakers, and wanted to leave them as is.

I'd be very surprised if the TX-L20D didn't support DNLA.

Al ears said:
Johannes Wagner said:
hey,

I'd be very surprised if the TX-L20D didn't support DNLA.

I could not find that anywhere listed in the specs (nor UPnP), also not on the DLNA certified product database. So hence I guess they don't support it...

TRENDING THREADS