Advice with settings please

near dark

May 5, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

I have just bought the Yamaha RXV581 AV receiver.

I have set it ,with just some basic changes. Can anyone offer any advice ,on the correct settings please?

I know ,my speakers,room etc etc ,all affect the settings,but are there any must have settings ?

Thank you

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
A couple of things that will dramatically affect the results do depend on which speakers you have: whether you have full-range floorstanding speakers or a subwoofer/satellite speaker system.

If you have a subwoofer in addition to your main speakers, you'll need to set the crossover in hz for your receiver. Then you have to set your speakers to "large" or "small".

If you have small satellite speakers and a subwoofer, I'd initially set your crossover to about 80hz and set your speakers to "small". This way your receiver will send bass and midrange information below 80hz to your subwoofer and anything above 80hz to the satellite speakers. Setting your speakers to "large" will send low frequencies to your sub AND the full frequency range to your other speakers. So you'd only really chosoe this option if your main speakers were indeed full-range in their own right and not just small satellite speakers. But by all means experiment with these settings according to your own preference and by checking the frequency range fo your main speakers in the manual. This is just a starting point really.

I still personally find that despite having floorstanders, when playing multi-channel sources, it still sounds better setting my speakers to "small" and handing all my bass duties to the subwoofer.

Of course, when I'm playing 2-channel music, if I select the "Pure Direct" option, it'll still play the full frequency range to my floorstanding speakers despite the crossover and speaker size selection I've made elsewhere. If I still wanted the subwoofer to do my bass even with 2-channel sources, on my receiver I select "Direct" rather than "Pure Direct", but this might vary depending on the make of your receiver.

Hope some of this helps. By all means give us another shout if you need any further help.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts