Advice required in identifying the weakest link

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, I'm seeking some advice in identifying the weakest link from my setup.

Setup:

• Arcam CD73 + Arcam A70 (interconnect Chord Cobra 3)
    Monitor Audio Bronze BR2 (speaker cable QED XT400)
    Atacama Europa rack + Soundstyle Z2 speaker stands

I listen to Metal/Rock and I'm always left to feel that there is something missing in the low ranges plus bass.

Mid range is great but I'm always left feeling that something is missing with poor low ranges that fail to scream out and tell me that they are there with authority
emotion-2.gif

If I had to put my finger on it I would suspect the amp from reading the WhatHIFI Forums.

Although I know music tastes and requirements are different for each user I was wondering if anyone has experienced the same or would have any ideas?

A

Anonymous

If you feel there is a weak point, I would suggest you try some different speakers.

John Duncan

If you listen to rock the amp in the A70's price bracket that I would have bought instead would have been the Rega Mira. Do you have money for upgrades and if so how much? The Rega is still around new and s/h but there might be other options nowadays depending on your budget.

Alternatively, an arcam power amp might raise the A70 from the doldrums (which it, more than practically any Arcam, is certainly in).

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Agree with both Octopussy and JD. Problem here is that you probably have a sensibly matched system and everything is kind of on par. If you like the basic sound other than bass you could save yourself a possible headache and add a good small subwoofer which solve the problem. Other than that you really are looking of having to upgrade everything step by step with the associated cost.

A

Anonymous

I'd say speakers. Something like the Revolver music series 1 would wake up the system.

John Duncan

He listens to rock and metal. The A70 is most definitely not a rock and metal amp. A power amp (Arcam) might feasibly make it so, and possibly be sourced more cheaply than upgrading to another brand, but you should compare that option at a dealer who also stocks Rega, Cyrus, Roksan, or maybe even a Naim Nait if you have the money, all of which would be immeasurably more fun than the A70 alone (in this context).

Careful with the BR2s though with some of those amps, they could rip your head off.

A

Anonymous

with words like scream and authority being used, Im guessing this is not soft rock ballards were talking about. Im doubtfull your taking about sub bass too, which a sub woofer would address. Im about to move away from my arcam 8r amp due to its lack of drive with dance beats, and i think your perhaps in a similar possition. While my upper mids n tops are detailed enough, they never truely sparkle, which is fine. The softness in the lower stuff is killing the beat and roar drive though. It just cant scream, or rock, and although big in the bass, its slow which is more cuddly than authoritairian. My speaker were reviewed as 'more authority than a drill seargent major' but it just sounds smooth and flat. The chaps above seem to of put your amps agility below mine, so start there.

Im currantly using a really bad amp from the 80's. Straight from the pages of grattons catalogue i believe. The arcam beats in in every way but drive. thats why the arcam is not in use. Perhaps loaning just about anything from a friend will show you the way.

A

Anonymous

Thank you all for your ideas, I think 'friendly1_uk' described my issue clearly or at least what I'm complaining about
emotion-5.gif

'JohnDuncan' I guess I'll start with replacing the amp which will take some time searching and auditioning.

Think I'll start with Roksan, I'll set aside £300 plus the sell of the Arcam A70 as my budget.

The CD-Player should be ok along with the speakers currently in place, at least for the time being.

Cheers.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I would agree that the A70, nor the CD73 is a rock component. Arcam isn't a rock brand, in fact that is its weakest link by far.

ÿ

ÿ

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
wingzero:

Setup:

I listen to Metal/Rock and I'm always left to feel that there is something missing in the low ranges plus bass.

Mid range is great but I'm always left feeling that something is missing with poor low ranges that fail to scream out and tell me that they are there with authority
emotion-2.gif

If I had to put my finger on it I would suspect the amp from reading the WhatHIFI Forums.

Although I know music tastes and requirements are different for each user I was wondering if anyone has experienced the same or would have any ideas?

If you hadn't mentioned your musical preference, I would have said your speakers.

But you did. Arcam.

I would look at selling both cdp and amp and depending on what you can afford, set aside (and this will annoy someone else on the forum) around £250-£300 and try and win the Creek Evo (the very one I sold last year) that is on ebay at the moment. It will more than rock your BR2s.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:wingzero:

Setup:

emotion-2.gif

If you hadn't mentioned your musical preference, I would have said your speakers.

But you did. Arcam.

I would look at selling both cdp and amp and depending on what you can afford, set aside (and this will annoy someone else on the forum) around £250-£300 and try and win the Creek Evo (the very one I sold last year) that is on ebay at the moment. It will more than rock your BR2s.

There is a more up to date review in the same mag this month and it's compared to £750 amps.

http://www.creekaudio.com/downloads/evo_hfc.pdf

A

Anonymous

I agree about the speakers. BR2s are initially very impressive but after an hour or so you realise that the mid is sucked out, the bass is 'one notey' and the tweeter (which is very exposed) is super 'grainy'. Probably a victim of the what Hi-Fi super dead listening room.

If you like to hear the vocals, guitars and keyboards as well as the bass and cymbols you should try some KEF speakers. The electronics make much less difference, honest - and Arcam make nice stuff.

Try a KEF 'Uni-Q' speaker like the new iQ30 and tell me it doesn't make a huge difference.

A

Anonymous

It's your amp, in my opinion that requires a change to something with a little for substance and dynamism. I would try a Rotel RA-04.

John Duncan

Gerrardasnails:the Creek Evo (the very one I sold last year) that is on ebay at the moment. It will more than rock your BR2s.

Ooo good call. Now *there's* a rock amp. I think you're right that the CDP should go as well, but the Evo might make it unnecessary.......

A

Anonymous

Change your speakers. Monitor Audio speakers don't produce (IMO) particularly fast or articulate bass. I'd also get rid of that silver coated QED stuff. I friend of mine had some on an Arcam system and complained of brightness so we swapped it for solid core mains and it was far better. Think he ended up with some old Naim NAC4.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Rev:Change your speakers. Monitor Audio speakers don't produce (IMO) particularly fast or articulate bass. I'd also get rid of that silver coated QED stuff. I friend of mine had some on an Arcam system and complained of brightness so we swapped it for solid core mains and it was far better. Think he ended up with some old Naim NAC4.

MA - bad bass?
Arcam - bright??

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails:Arcam - bright??

Maybe not in the whole scheme of things but if you get really used to a sound you would be saying it is bright in comparison. But still not bright. If you ask me using any of the QED speaker cable can have drastic consequences, unless paired very well.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
wingzero:

Setup:

emotion-2.gif

Everyone seems to have different opinions here but you have similar (if less expensive) equipment to mine. So I would initially suggest you try a decent mains lead. They truly do make a difference and my A85 sounded 'flat' until I tried one out. The bass just 'came alive'. If anyone here thinks arcam ARE dull then its set wrong because mine is a powerhouse for the (old style) Monitor Audio Silvers I have.

However, if that still doesnt suit then I kind of agree with what one of the other guys said ~ a COMPLETE upgrade, speakers first. As you like 'rock' so much though (As I do), then I would suggest some floorstanders personally as standmounts, generally speaking, (Especially at the cheaper end of the scale) just dont have the same 'clout'.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts