Advice Regarding Listening to Music, with Hearing Loss.

Hi, everybody.

First post. I'm in my mid-40s, and as a result of working near Harrier and Hercules aircraft in my earlier adult life, I now have slightly impaired hearing. I have recently started to wear hearing aids, which work really well, for the frequencies that are 'shot'.

Sometimes i'd like to listen to music (DAB radio), or digital format (mp3/ flac, etc), and i'd like to do this without my hearing aids. Obviously, without the hearing aids, my ability to hear some frequencies is not ideal. I had a Samsung Android 'phone, until fairly recently, and the great thing about it was that in the Samsung sound settings, you could plug headphones into the 'phone, then carry out a hearing test, and the audio output would be adjusted, so that hearing enjoyment was maximised. I no longer have a Samsung 'phone, and the software is not available on other brands.

With this in mind, I wondered, does anything similar exist, that I could use to calibrate any listening equipment and (probably) headphones, so that I can fully enjoy music. As I say, Samsung application took 2 minutes to run, and did the job perfectly. I guess with a graphic equaliser, it would be hit and miss, and i'd like something a bit more proficient. I know you are probably squirming at the idea of 'messing with the sound', and I would have done 20+ years ago, but sadly, I have to make allowances, these days.

If it helps inform discussion, I guess I am most likely when purchasing sound equipment, to look at a portable player, as I mostly listen to music in the evening, without disturbing the rest of the house.

I hope someone can help, as things seem to have moved on a great deal, since my Rotel/ Mission CD/ amp/ speakers, of the 90's.

Cheers,

Chris.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Welcome Chris

Chris Andrew said:
I know you are probably squirming at the idea of 'messing with the sound', and I would have done 20+ years ago, but sadly, I have to make allowances, these days.

No not at all. What phone/system are you on now, iOS or still Android? If you're now an iOS user I'd recommend having a look at SoundFocus, a free iOS app which by the looks of it does what you require and allows you to use it to play your local iTunes library and Spotify tracks (I think). Unfortunately I don't think it works with any radio content.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts