Advice: Pro-ject T1 or Debut III DC

CGMe

Feb 18, 2022
Visit site
I currently own a vintage Dual 1019 turntable that's connected to an old Yamaha CA-610 with KEF Chorale speakers. As you can see, it's a pretty vintage setup. Now, the turntable isn't working properly anymore and will probably need some extensive service, which I'm not that keen on spending that kind of money on it. I could always search for a vintage replacement, but I've been hearing good things about the newer Pro-ject turntables so I planning on buying something new.

Problem is: which one. I'm on a limited budget (and fairly new to the world of hi-fi and turntables) and there are 2 turntables available to me to pick up for exactly the same price. These are a Pro-ject T1 (the base model, no BT or integrated phone stage, since my Yamaha amp has one), or a Debut III DC. The're both equiped with the Ortofon OM5e.

I hope you guys could give me some advice. I've seen plenty of reviews for the T1, which seems a solid choice, but can't seem to find that much for the Debut III DC.

The Debut 111 DC isn’t listed on the Pro-ject website, so I think it’s probably discontinued. That may mean you’re getting a better buy, or you may prefer to get a current model. The Debut Evo is their newest version, for a lot more money, that’s winning awards.

You can’t really go wrong with any Pro-ject, but they do have too many versions to make it easy to pick your way through!

Welcome to the forum!

Indeed, welcome.
The Debut III DC is quite old and as far as I can see only available from one source, hence it is cheaper. If you forget the DC bit there are reviews out there for the Debut III which will be pretty much the same.
T1 is where my money would go.

Last edited:
Reactions: nopiano

CGMe

Feb 18, 2022
Visit site
Thanks for the replies and advice. In the meantime I've been to two separate dealers and to my surprise, both told me they have had issues with a number of T1's they sold recently. Had a long talk with one of them and convinced me to wait a bit and save up to a Debut Carbon EVO. His arguments being:
  • it's a much more serious turntable, with matching sound
  • it has much more possibilities for potential upgrades, which makes a more long-term investment
With the T1 being basically an entry-level turntable and the Debut III DC an older product.

Thanks for the replies and advice. In the meantime I've been to two separate dealers and to my surprise, both told me they have had issues with a number of T1's they sold recently. Had a long talk with one of them and convinced me to wait a bit and save up to a Debut Carbon EVO. His arguments being:
  • it's a much more serious turntable, with matching sound
  • it has much more possibilities for potential upgrades, which makes a more long-term investment
With the T1 being basically an entry-level turntable and the Debut III DC an older product.
using those examples it would be better to look at Debut Carbon Pro......

CGMe

Feb 18, 2022
Visit site
While that is true, if I go down that rabbithole there's always a next one in line that's better. For me personally I could stretch my budget to the EVO which is about twice as much as I initially had in mind. The Pro would be triple that.

For now I thank you guys for taking the time to answer my post, and I'll save up for the EVO. I'll post my finding about it when I get it :giggle:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts