Advice please for former B&W / Rotel owner

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
I made a mistake about two years ago - I sold my B&W 601 s2's and Rotel ra-971 amp. I miss them!

I currently have a pair of dali zensor 1's running off a denon rcd-n7. The functionality is great but the sound is poor compared to my old setup.

id love the sound of my old setup with the functionality of the denon (Internet radio, AirPlay) and iphone/iPad control. Would consider b&w bookshelf / ceiling speakers / sonos etc but want to make sure the sound is nice and punchy and crisp. Don't want to spend a fortune say up to £1,000. Happy to buy some second hand stuff.

Any thoughts?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site

In this situation functionality is the key.

I would be very tempted by a Sonos Connect and either the amplifier/speaker setup you fancy or if you want to step away from the usual suspects, a good pair of active speakers.

Maybe a pair of Adam Artist 6, currently available at just over £600 pair or a pair of AVI DM5s at £699.

ARTIST6.jpg

or

dm5_2.jpg

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
That little Denon will not be able to drive B&W speakers as well as your Rotel did. You will need an amplifier too, or like Dave recommended active speakers.

For variety I'll add a second hand option with an amp. Clicky

You can connect the Denon to the Musical Fidelity amplifier to get all the networking functionality. And a CDP as a bonus in the deal.

I have B&W CM1 + Roksan Kandy K2 BT and love the combo. They also sounded brilliantly with Rotel amps.

iceman16

Vladimir said:
That little Denon will not be able to drive B&W speakers as well as your Rotel did. You will need an amplifier too, or like Dave recommended active speakers.

For variety I'll add a second hand option with an amp. Clicky

You can connect the Denon to the Musical Fidelity amplifier to get all the networking functionality. And a CDP as a bonus in the deal.

I have B&W CM1 + Roksan Kandy K2 BT and love the combo. They also sounded brilliantly with Rotel amps.

Here we are ago again

matthewpiano

If you enjoyed your old system so much, then I'd would start by getting back to Rotel with B&W. Perhaps the following:

Rotel RA-10 £350

B&W 686 s2 £350

This then leaves you with £300 to sort the functionality out which should be plenty.

hybridauth_Facebook_664715932

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi Anouksa,
I agree with matthewpiano. I am a big fan of bw speakers, I had a pair of dm601 for almost 20 years until I upgraded to cm5 a couple of years ago. If you can strech you budget a little I would recommend you demo the cm5 with creek evo 50a. I just got this amp yesterday and all I can say; it's just amazing!
Cm s2 is now out so you pick up s1 for good price. Canterbury hifi are selling manufacturer xdeom for £575.00 and you can pick up a xdem evo 50a for about £675. I know it's a little over your budget but do give them a demo. You will be pleasantly surprised.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts