Advice on system

cloggy27

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys I am putting together a hifi system for a small room. What I had in mind was the new Marantz Melody Maker 611 all in one paired to B&W 685 s2 speakers. I'm also considering a subwoofer to be added to the above - any recommendations? I saw the Boston Acoustics ASW250 for a good price but somehow feel they may be too powerful. Any advice or comments appreciated. Thanks Bart

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The outright power of a subwoofer, and any thoughts of being too much, is irrelevant in any system, any room. Whilst power is important for high output levels, extra power is also needed for low notes, and the control needed requires more power from the amplifier. I notice though that the 650watt rating of the Boston is peak, so any continuous output is going to be around 200 or thereabouts.

I'd put forward the Tannoy TS2.10 as an option. As well as a 10" driver, it also has another 10" driver acting as a passive radiator - this will shift more air, resulting in better efficiency and more presence.

Of course, adding the cost of the sub to the cost of your speakers means you can get better quality speakers. Adding a sub to any given speaker doesn't physically improve quality (although there is a perceived improvement in quality), it will only extend bass. Have a look at Dali Menuets, KEF R100, or Monitor Audio Silver 1 or 2. If you're more I tested in smaller speakers, but if you're after a floorstander, try the Dali Zensor 7 or the Monitor Audio Bronze 6.

See if you can arrange an audition to compare the sound you'll get from a pair of floorstanding speakers to floorstanders with a sub, as you may prefer the sound of one approach over the other.

cloggy27

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
Hi David thanks so much for your reply. I have looked briefly into the options you suggest as alternatives, and one (worrying) thought came to mind - can the Marantz all-in-one I intend buying adequately power these various speakers? It is rated as 60 W per channel into 6 ohms. All of the speakers mentioned are rated as nominal 8 ohms impedance and have listed suggested amplifier requirements as 40-120W (Silver 2), 40-100W (Silver 1), 30-120W (Bronze 5), 40-150W (Bronze 6), 25-100W (KEF R100, B&W 685 s2). How much of a problem could this be?

The other thing to consider for me is price - the South African prices for these various speakers vary quite a lot, with Rand pricing as follows:

B&W 685 s2 R8800 / MA Silver 1 R9990 / MA Bronze 5 R11790 / MA Silver 2 R12990 / MA Bronze 6 R14790 / KEF R100 R 14900 / KEF R300 R24500. Could you comment on perceived price/quality? I am of course trying to listen to them all but not everything is easy to find.

Another alternative could be the Adam F5 studio monitors for R9500 - any opinion on them?

Thanks Bart (sorry for the basic questions)

TRENDING THREADS