Question Advice on new streaming system

Nickelnoff

Dec 12, 2020
Visit site
I was hoping to get some advise on a purchase that I am trying to make. I live in Switzerland and there aren’t tons of HiFi shops to visit especially at the moment.

So listening to what I am interested in is tough and even if I can get to a shop I haven’t come across one that actually has the cross section of products that I am interested in.

Essentially I am looking at mid(ish) range gear with a budget around 3500-3500 GBP. I listen to folk, acoustic, jazz, classical...

I did manage to check out the KEF LS50 II Wireless before Christmas and I liked the sound but was put of but the fact they are all In one and the unit will ultimately become redundant and stop getting updates and since streaming technology changes more frequently than anything else now looking at separates. I don’t listen/own CDs or vinyl... so its a strictly streaming affair.

Speakers -> Amp > DAC > Streamer

My shopping list is currently:

KEF LS50 Meta Pair
Speaker cable TBC
Musical Fidelity M3si
Audioquest Coax Cinnamon (0.75 Meter)
RME ADI-2 DAC FS
Audioquest USB Cinnamon (USB-A to B, 0.75 Meter)
SOtM sMS-200 Neo

Comments / friendly criticism / Advice most appreciated

Nickelnoff

Dec 12, 2020
Visit site
Puh - the more I research HiFi the more indecisive I seem to get...

Decent offers on Naim Uniti with Focal Chora speakers really got me thinking again what to do.

RBinDC

Aug 21, 2020
Visit site
John Darko recently compared the KEF WirelessII with the KEF Meta driven by two different integrated amps and concluded that the KEK Meta compared favorably with the wireless II. Google Darko Audio.

Reactions: Nickelnoff

Nickelnoff

Dec 12, 2020
Visit site
Did you test the ls50 metas sound with the atom? If so, how did they sound?
Nope - didn’t test. Just glad to have heard something I liked since the whole place was officially in lock down. Plus such a decent deal or at the moment on the N sin and Chora combo.

IGR

Jan 11, 2021
Visit site
Don’t automatically dismiss the KEF wireless 2’s on the basis of them not being future proofed. I had the same dilemma until someone pointed out to me that an external streamer can be added at a later date if the KEF streamer becomes redundant. I am not necessarily recommending them, I am just suggesting you may shouldn’t totally dismiss them for that reason if you like the sound

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Don’t automatically dismiss the KEF wireless 2’s on the basis of them not being future proofed. I had the same dilemma until someone pointed out to me that an external streamer can be added at a later date if the KEF streamer becomes redundant. I am not necessarily recommending them, I am just suggesting you may shouldn’t totally dismiss them for that reason if you like the sound

Yes I was thinking the same. They have enough inputs to mean the only aspect that you can’t bypass is the amplification, which if you love the sound they make, is good enough already. Think about how long analogue inputs have been around for, and the spread of systems (budget to highest of high end) that use them. No risk of those being superseded any time soon

the bigger issue from my perspective is lifespan. If something fails in years to come will that brick the whole unit? Typically with separates if one unit fails the others aren’t affected

Reactions: RBinDC

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts