Advice on headphones for travel/work use

StephenZero

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new to headphones but have been meaning to get a decent pair for a while now. I'm looking to get some closed over-ear phones for travel and work use. I'll explain a bit more. I've got some long-haul flights coming up and would like to be able to enjoy music rather than the drone - it'll be important to relax given a hectic schedule. This and a bonus are prompting me to splash out.

I'd be listening to FLAC files (probably - I have a library with both FLAC and mp3) on a new Sony Xperia Z2, which has USB DAC support which is something I'm also considering. I'd also use the phones to listen to FLACs on my laptop at work via a Dacmagic xs. I currently use the AKG K452 for this.

I'm not really sure about flavour of headphone sound. I listen to classical (chamber, orchestral and opera) and a wide range of pop/rock. My home hi-fi set up is FLAC on a NAS through Rega DAC and amp with B&W speakers. I'm happy with that.

Budget - £250ish on phones, open to spending a bit on portable DAC/amp if worth it.
Looks - not too bothered.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Stephen

Audiofilo

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi there Stephen

Welcome to the headphone forum! I think this is a no brainer. I think you will need noise cancelling, so go with the
Bose ® QuietComfort ® 15. An alternative is the Sennheiser Momemtum for non noice cancellation.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Or for a better price and every bit as good as Bose then there is the Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 or ANC9.

Both are Noise Cancelling as you will need it on an aircraft. At home you can switch it off.

StephenZero

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. I think I'll probably go with the Audio Technica ANC9. I'm keen on the 'phones working in passive mode, I think. Will try some out this week hopefully.

TRENDING THREADS