Advice on choosing a decent pair of budget speakers

bjh

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
Last week I picked up a brand new Denon PMA 520AE amplifier. I snapped up the amp quickly because it was going for such a good price (just under 80 quid) and now I'm looking for a decent pair of speakers to go with the amp.

The amps rated at 45 Watts per channel at 8 ohms and 70 Watts per channel at 4 ohms (but wth considerably greater THD). I was thinking of picking up a pair of wharfedale diamond 9.1s as they seem to be widely available for under £100. Will this amp put out enough juice to power them? The speakers are rated at 6 ohms with a max power handling of 100 watts. Will my amp be able to power them well enough to achieve a decent level of loudness?

Given my amp should I be looking at speakers with greater sensitivity if I still want a big room filling sound?

Any and all suggestions would be welcome. My budget is anything up to £200 and as I'm completely open to looking for something secondhand.

Cheers :)

Deliriumbassist

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The 9.1s are truly excellent for the price. As ever, a demo is required, but the only place you'll get a demo of them is at a Superfi, as the 9.1s are solely sold in the UK by them.

Q Acoustics 2010i are another small speaker to try.

matthewpiano

Q Acoustics work really well with Denon so I'd strongly recommend that route. If you can get the 2020i they are even better than the 2010i. The other speakers to consider are the Dali Zensor 1s.

Is your forum name a reference to the band BJH?

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Boston Acoustics A25's are well worth a look. 5 star reviews and currently £79 in Richer (uuurgh) Sounds sale bit of a steal.

I have a pair and they are very very good.

Cambridge Audio S30's are also a lot of bang for their buck

bjh

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions :)

I'll have to go and listen to these, they all look like excellent candidates though.

Ahh no my forum name's just my initials actually haha. Not much of a fan of their music.

Anybody have any suggestions on some older models that could be had a reasonable price secondhand?

Hi bjh

Monitor Audio's BX2 speakers are also worth a look. The BX2's are front ported (easier placement in relations to walls), a benign load (90dB + 8ohms) and their overall presentation should help BX2's to tonally match your Denon amplifier.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts