Advice needed/Surround setup

bullitt

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
My living room is 16"long x 12"wide at the moment i view my tv across the width of the room mounted on the wall , i am going to be setting up tannoy f1 customs (Sitting on atacama nexus 6 stands) /Onkyo 606 /Mj Accoustics sub , my problem is i have door that splits the length of the wall so my front right and back right are futher away from the TV than the left speakers frnt/back ,Does this matter ? Does it have to be equal ? Sorry if this sounds confusing but would appreciate some help thanks.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Shouldn't matter as the auto-setup within the Onkyo will calculate the distance of each speaker during the setup and apply the appropriate delay to the other speakers to ensure each sound meets you at the correct time. As long as the speakers are in the correct position, this should be fine i.e. centre speaker is under the TV, left is a good distance to the left and right is a good distance to the right to ensure you get the separation of sound.

A

Anonymous

I would add that having run the 'auto set up' you fine tune the sound levels by sitting down in the listening positions in your room and, using your ears, tweak levels.
It may surprise you in the improvements to your listening pleasure.

bullitt

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Thanks.Also i've ordered 4 atacam nexus 6 cos i don't want the rears on shelves, is it ok for rear speakers to be on stands?

bullitt

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Cool thats that sorted ,just waiting for the rest of my stuff to arrive then its hook up time,although got to get spike shoes and atabites yet , thanks for quick reply .

bullitt

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Yo prof , i just got my atacam nexus 6's ,there well smart,QUESTION : They come with spikes that are meant for carpet primarily ,i have a hard floor and although you can buy spike shoes there well expensive, can i just leave them sitting on the bottom plate (flat)or would this have a negative effect on the sound etc... Advice please mate thanks.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Ideally, you want the spikes as this helps to isolate the stand from any vibrations through the floor. Before I got the spike shoes, I used little sticky felt pads I bought in Robert Dyas that look like this:

0624544.jpg

The spikes can then rest into them like they would carpet. Very cheap alternative (about £4 I think they were) - the issue is, if you are moving your speakers around like I was at the time, they're a pain as you have to keep unsticking them and re-sticking them in the correct place! Best advice, use an old towel or something while you're finding the optimum position for the stands and speakers. Once this is done, you can then stick the pads down.

bullitt

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
I might just use coins for now ,most online prices for spike shoes are £12.95 for 4, creative audio told me today they do them for £15 for 8 but i dont think there atacamas as they dont sell there products ,well not the stands anyway,thanks for tip mate i will keep that idea in mind.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts