Advice Needed - Sidegrade/Upgrade from Monitor Audio Silver 4is

bigsteviet

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

Just came home with a Yamaha AS500 for £170 from Richer Sounds - deal of the year? Sounds awesome to me, straight off! This is my 2nd room set-up and I just robbed the rears from my main set-up to make the most of the new amp (Monitor Audio Silver 4is) - REALLY impressed. Trouble is, I will need to get them back into my surround sound set-up.

So, I had been eyeing up Dali Zensor 1s or Q2020is for this system, but I think I may have just spoiled myself with the 4is - does anyone have any input as to how they compare, or what would make a good side/upgrade?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
bigsteviet said:
Hi,

Just came home with a Yamaha AS500 for £170 from Richer Sounds - deal of the year? Sounds awesome to me, straight off! This is my 2nd room set-up and I just robbed the rears from my main set-up to make the most of the new amp (Monitor Audio Silver 4is) - REALLY impressed. Trouble is, I will need to get them back into my surround sound set-up.

So, I had been eyeing up Dali Zensor 1s or Q2020is for this system, but I think I may have just spoiled myself with the 4is - does anyone have any input as to how they compare, or what would make a good side/upgrade?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

A huge choice in speakers is available including both new and used. Given the different presentations that speakers have, it is probably the most important bit of hifi kit to actually try to listen to before buying if possible.

Not much help I know, but this is something that you will need to determine for yourself.

bigsteviet

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Overdose,

I intend to audition a shortlist before purchase, but I was hoping someone could offer me an idea of what would compare to my 4is. Now i've heard this set-up, I don't want to take a step backwards!

I've read a ton of reviews, but there's no point auditioning 'budget' winners like Q2020is, Dali Zensor 1s or Wharfedale 9.1s if they're in a lower league. At the moment, I'm thinking BX2s, but I'd be really interested if anyone could chip in some good advice...

I'd like to go in with a shortlist of say, 3, not 23!!!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
The rears are the least important speakers in 5.1, so consider getting some cheap Wharfedale 9.1s (£100), and if you don't like them as much as your Silver 4is (you might like them more), keep the Silvers on your AS500 and use the 9.1s as rears.

bigsteviet

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
The rears are the least important speakers in 5.1, so consider getting some cheap Wharfedale 9.1s (£100), and if you don't like them as much as your Silver 4is (you might like them more), keep the Silvers on your AS500 and use the 9.1s as rears.

I was thinking along the same lines, the difference being that my OH has stated that the new rears need to be smaller, not bigger than what she's just been very glad to see disappear.

I also like the fact that my surrounds are all well matched, so there's no disconnect as a sound transfers to the rear. I've heard this on other set-ups and it can be very jarring, bringing you out of the moment.

That's why my first choice right now is still to go for new speakers in my man cave. Just researching the Q Acoustic Concept 20 and Tannoy DC4s at the moment...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
bigsteviet said:
CnoEvil said:

I was thinking along the same lines, the difference being that my OH has stated that the new rears need to be smaller, not bigger than what she's just been very glad to see disappear.

I also like the fact that my surrounds are all well matched, so there's no disconnect as a sound transfers to the rear. I've heard this on other set-ups and it can be very jarring, bringing you out of the moment.

That's why my first choice right now is still to go for new speakers in my man cave. Just researching the Q Acoustic Concept 20 and Tannoy DC4s at the moment...

The Concept 20s would be my pick.

The 9.1s would be the best value.

The MA Silver RX1 or 2 would probably be the most similar to what you have.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts