Advice for upgrade

mizzor

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

I would like to upgrade my two systems and like some ideas for upgrading/replacing my existing systems. I am doing only stream from Qobuz Hifi or Spotify Connect through a chromecast audio. I like when it's not hassle and I like when it looks classy. Listening to all kind of music.

My current system are:
1. In 25sqm room, everyday place, modern look, bookshelves, usually listening at low volume
Tannoy Revolution DC6 + pm6005. I like the sound of it but not enough to enjoy classical music.
I was looking at replacing this with KEF LS50 to get a more detailed sound. I loved detailed clarity in voice.

2. In a 70sqm room with heigh ceiling, rustic look, weekend place, listening at a higher volume
Monitor Audio Bronze 2 with onkyo-cr-n755. I always feel the urge to upgrade when I listen to this system.
I'd like to have floor standers instead because it's a big room. Considering the expense of the upgrade of the first system I am tempted by the wharfedale diamond 12,3 to have something decent and affordable. I am also tempted to go up to £3500 if I can find a cabinet that is really beautiful. Or anything in between if I'll get better value for the cost. I am lost on this one as there are too many possibilities and I have no particular HiFi knowledge.

Thank you if you can give me some good ideas. I hope I gave enough info. I am not audiophile enough to describes the differences between two high end systems but I can clearly tell the difference between the good and less good. I think the look of the cabinet will matter more for me than a particular sensitivity for a system

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
The first thing I would do would be swap the tannoys for the monitor audio speakers between systems just to see if either system worked better for you, giving you an indication if nothing else, as generally speakers from brands may have a sound signature.

On looking I'd go sonos. A pair of 5s in the room that has the marantz, a sonos amp in the second room with something like the wharfedale you mentioned bor dali 7s

Simple setup

mizzor

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I tried to swap, the monitor audio a simply never good enough.

Will the Sonos5 sound better than the tannoy? I first considered the Naim mu so instead, then tought it might be worth to double the price for the LS50 because bookshelves speaker would look better in the room ont the stands I already have.

I'll probably swap the onkyo for the marrantz in the bigger room. Where can I see the dali 7s? I saw dali zensor 7 but I am not fan of how they look.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
I'd say scrap the ls50 unless you mean the wireless or intend spending on an amp. I have the marantz and love it but it's often said the ls50 needs higher end stuff to get the best.

2 sonos 5s do sound very good. It was only a suggestion, I reckon it would work well in your smaller room

I meant dali oberon 7 or something in this league for the bigger room

mizzor

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Yes I meant the wireless ls50

will the marrantz be enough for the Dali Oberon 7? At this price range I find tte évoque 4.4 better looking

rainsoothe

The LS50W would probably be a good choice for the smaller room, but if you wanna save some dosh, you could just keep the Marantz and try some Dali Oberon or Fyne Audio stuff, or indeed audition Sonos to replace the lot, and for the bigger room, perhaps something like a Naim Uniti Atom or Star, or Bluesound Node 2i + Denafrips Ares DAC + a Musical Fidelity amp and Wharfedale Lintons with their matching stands, or Spendor A4 or whatever.

mizzor

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I'll try the ls50 wireless II first

then for the bigger room I am tempted with Naim Uniti Atom + Spendor A4

or maybe Klipsch RF 7 III 8 / Atom GTH2 / Spendor A7. I need to get more info on that first.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts