Advice for upgrade order

Retne

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Hi all,

Right, time to throw myself at your learned feet...

I have the following equipment, and I'm wondering what you folks think I should upgrade and in what order (as budget allows now and in the future). I have about a £2k-£2.5k budget now, and there's some specific things I know I want and some I'm not bothered about.

All my kit is old:

Eltax Silverstone for centre, and rear speakers (5.1)

Celestion F2 as front speakers

Sub that's not used at the moment, and which I can't find somewhere to place in the lounge.

Sherwood RD7106 Amp

Err, Thorn CRT TV. That occasionally needs to be hit.

I am waiting for the new Philips TVs to be reviewed before I decide about the TV.

I live in a 30s semi, with a not very big lounge. Rear speakers are mounted high on the wall, toed in.

Having become a father 8 months ago, most of my use is now TV-oriented, in a collapsed state that probably wouldn't notice subtities, so I'm slightly priotising features (iPlay, DLNA streaming from my QNAP NAS) over listening-test quality. I am a fan of just about all types of music and as with many on these forums have a wide selection of genres.

The TV is definitely getting upgraded. I'm vagluely considering the effort of persuading my wife that a 46" TV is sensible (9706), but I actually think it's a bit big. The only reason I wonder about that is because that 46" has the better black levels, from the first looks I've been able to find. Otherwise 40/42" is my target. I'll only get Philips if it reviews well, but I do like Ambilight.

I also know I need to buy a BluRay source (which must be modifiable to DVD multi region) plus Amp. I had considered getting a Media Center PC, but think with the DVR in most high end TVs, plus the fact my main PC has a twin tuner and Windows Media Centre, it's now not necessary.

I had thought to simply buy the Onkyo 609, TV as per reviews plus BluRay (having now thought a HTPC isn't a worthwhile, and is no longer necessary)

I am wondering about buying the amp now due to the Richer Sounds offer. Buy the TV when I've seen the review and grab a ~£300 BluRay, leaving my speakers as-is. I do love hearing good quality reproductions through good kit, but may just buy some decent headphones as it's very rare I have time to just listen to music any more. Ideally the headphones would be good for my keyboard too, if anyone has any ideas there for me (Roland RD 700NX).

Sorry, long post, but hopefully that's useful not simply annoying :)

Thanks all,

R

Retne

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Oh, I do have a few other sources I'll want to use occasionally btw - Wii, other consoles (including an Atari Jaguar bought just for Tempest 2000!), phones (I have a Galaxy SII), laptop

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts