Advice for new system

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm buying a complete new system. When considering price points, what is a reasonable ratio of price for source:pre-amp:amp:speakers:cables? I realize that price doesn't always equate with quality, that the components must be properly matched etc. I'm just looking for some rough guidelines.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Whow, so many variables...

The "what proportion to spend on each" always gets people here going, as there is no one hard and fast rule.

I would say that with a budget of £1000, then I would spend £400 each on the speakers and amp, and £200 on the CD. £1500, say £600 each on the speakers and amp, and £300 on the CD.

Above that, it tends to even out a bit more, with the source becoming more important.

My theory on this is that to get a noticable jump from a £300 CD player, you have to almost double it, but the difference between a £200 and £400 pair of speakers is really quite large.

...but I'm sure someone will argue with me.

What overall budget did you have in mind?

And as for cables...(battens down the hatches)

John Duncan

fatboyslimfast:...but I'm sure someone will argue with me

And *poof*, he appeared....

TBH, that's pretty much the skew I would give it, though obviously it does depend on total budget - sometimes there are compromises to be made at the budget end, or 'proportions' go out the window at the top end (33k CD player, 150k amp, 9k speakers, that sort of thing). I think the only rule I'd use is to spend most on the amp.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:fatboyslimfast:...but I'm sure someone will argue with me

And *poof*, he appeared....

TBH, that's pretty much the skew I would give it, though obviously it does depend on total budget - sometimes there are compromises to be made at the budget end, or 'proportions' go out the window at the top end (33k CD player, 150k amp, 9k speakers, that sort of thing). I think the only rule I'd use is to spend most on the amp.

Yep, I agree with them too. A decent amp and speakers can work wonders with a budget cd player but a really good cd player with a budget amp and speakers will sound poor.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts