Advice - bookshelf system

Vandeley

Dec 27, 2015
Visit site
Hi.
I'm a hifi newbie who wants to invest in my first real system. I'm looking for an amp and a pair of bookshelf speakers. I've been reading up, and testing different combinations, but I find myself a little unsure and having alot of questions, bear with me...

I know the best thing is to test the products, unfortunately not all the models are avaliable where I live.
A little background info; the room is 195 square foot, i'm planing on playing a lot from Spotify and my iTunes library, and also vinyl from an old B&O Beogram 9500 turntable (so also looking for an RIAA).
Furtermore i'm planing on using it for movies as a home cinema system.
I'm listening to a lot of early 90's hip hop (Outkast, Nas, Jay-Z, Slick Rick), older soul and reggae (Gregory Isaacs, Bob Marley, Isley Brothers, George Benson) but also newer electronic music (John Talabot, Axel Boman, Moodymann, Nicolas Jaar).

The amp; i'm narrowing in on the NAD d3020 and the Marantz pm6005.
I really like the bluetooh option with the NAD, but since I have an iPhone I won't be able to listening in aptX? I also have a newer MacBook pro, so I hope I will be able to play with the aptX codec?

But since i'm also planing on listening to a lot of vinyl, I thought maybe the Marantz would be stronger analogue?
I would still like the option to play wireless from time to time, so I was wondering if I could get the same quility as the NAD from bluetooth receivers like Arcam miniblink or QED uPlay, or maybe investing in Apple TV or AirPlay Express?

Cable wise, how I would get most out the DAC in the pm6005 since it dosen't have USB? And is there an option for the NAD other than USB to get better sound from the DAC?

Speakers; i've been looking at the B&W 685 s2, Dali Zensor 3 and Monitor Audio Bronze 2.
I've listened to the B&W and the Dali from the NAD amp. B&W comes out a bit more detailed and with wider sound, but is wondering with my music taste will find it to precise and with less emotion over longer listening sessions? And also if the NAD and Marantz have enough power to back up the speakers, or if it would be overkill.
Unfortunately no shop around have the MA, and it's limited what I can find on it testing wise. It does have great specs for the price.

So if anyone could give me some help and maybe point me in the right direction for my needs. And again I know it's very individual, but I would appreciate the input.

Thanks

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
My experience with iThings and Macbooks is that you are better off with Airplay rather than Bluetooth.

With this, and other factors in mind I would see if I could find a Yamaha RX N500 network reciever, does everything you could want, Airplay, network streaming, Radio, Spotify Connect and a phono stage.

Pair it with whatever speakers take your fancy.

rainsoothe

davedotco said:
My experience with iThings and Macbooks is that you are better off with Airplay rather than Bluetooth.

With this, and other factors in mind I would see if I could find a Yamaha RX N500 network reciever, does everything you could want, Airplay, network streaming, Radio, Spotify Connect and a phono stage.

ye, except making music

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
rainsoothe said:
davedotco said:

ye, except making music

Not.

It is quite clear that the OP is looking for quite a lot of functionality in a relatively budget setup, the RX-N500 is comfortably as good as anything at the price and has all the facilities required.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts