Advantages of a Network Player - Cambridge CXN V2 for Gapless Playback

hybridauth_Twitter_43371788

Oct 11, 2017
Visit site
Hi all,

I just found a mint condition used Cambridge CXN V2 network player for a good price and I was wondering if it worth spending this money to have gapless playback. Even though my system was built on analog purposes, most of the time I use Spotify/Tidal and currently in my setup (with chromecast audio) i can't have the gapless playback function. Who listens to opera would understand me. I did some research but couldn't get an answer satisfying my needs. To obtain the gapless playback, is having a Network player the only option? And besides, what are different advantages of having a network player? I use Cambridge CXA80 as an amp.

Thank you very much in advance.

matthewpiano

Beware, not all network players offer gapless playback. My Audiolab, for example, plays Qobuz and Tidal but is not capable of gapless playback. This is because these services are accessed through the DTS Play-Fi app and this platform does not support gapless.

The Bluesound Node 2i DOES support gapless playback and is what I may change to in time.

Reactions: nopiano
It’s a known flaw of the extremely capable, but slightly basic and now discontinued, Chromecast Audio that it can’t do gapless. As you say, that’s essentia for opera!
Most current streamers are fine, and you can probably find cheaper ways than a CXN if that’s important. Otherwise it’s popular and well reviewed, so if the price is right...!

hybridauth_Twitter_43371788

Oct 11, 2017
Visit site
Thank you.
It’s a known flaw of the extremely capable, but slightly basic and now discontinued, Chromecast Audio that it can’t do gapless. As you say, that’s essentia for opera!
Most current streamers are fine, and you can probably find cheaper ways than a CXN if that’s important. Otherwise it’s popular and well reviewed, so if the price is right...!
What would be a cheaper option? Thanks.

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
Bluesound Node 2 is as cheap as it comes without sacrificing too much. Ironically, I have one and am thinking of getting the Cambridge CXN V2 for its superior sound quality. Sonically, it's not even close, but the Bluesound app is really good.

Thank you.

What would be a cheaper option? Thanks.
As already mentioned, the Bluesound Node, of which the 2i is the current model. It’s widely on sale at £399 which is £100 off, probably to clear stock, but maybe to herald an updated model.
It’s not a regular sized box like an amplifier, which may be a snag for you, but the app is well liked and many services are supported. Elsewhere many users report significant sound upgrades are achievable with a better external power supply and/or an external DAC. If that doesn't appeal then the Cambridge is probably a better bet.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts