ADM9RS vs midfield monitors?

rythmo

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Hey

So after reading a lot of reviews I really can't make up my mind about what to buy. I'm looking for a solid hifi speaker system that will perform well even at low frequencies, as i sometimes like to listen to loud bass heavy music :grin: . I would go for the ADM9RS with the sub, but it really gets a bit too expensive.

Now i'm thinking about some entry level midfield monitors like the adam A8x or A77x. Cheaper and i might not need the sub (they go down to 38hz), but i'm a little woried about using them for hifi, especially if there is a narrow speetspot... Can anyone help me??

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Whereabouts are you ?

if you're in or near Gloucestershire you could pay a visit to the AVI factory. Or they have a small list of dealers on their website. This would have the advantage of letting you do a direct comparison with other speakers in stock.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
If you're going down the active route, then try the ADMs on their own first and maybe get a listen to the Dynaudio BM6As and the Mackie HR824s.

HiFi use will be fine. More than fine in fact.

rythmo

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Ok thanks for the advice. The ADM are hard to get to in switzerland so I ordered the Adam a77x, should get them tomorrow :) I'll be using them with the audioengine D1..

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Nice one. I hope you can share your impressions of the Adams. I'm interested to hear what you think of them.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
rythmo said:
Ok thanks for the advice. The ADM are hard to get to in switzerland so I ordered the Adam a77x, should get them tomorrow :) I'll be using them with the audioengine D1..

Interesting choice.

I must admit that the horizontal layout would have put me off, I would have paid a little more and gone for the S1x, which I have heard in store and has a formidable reputation.

I don't think I have ever layed eyes on the A77x, be interested to hear how you get on.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
davedotco said:
rythmo said:

Interesting choice.

I must admit that the horizontal layout would have put me off

Me too.

rythmo

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
So for those interested, I have to say i'm quite happy with my adam a77x so far.

I'm nothing of an expert when it comes to hifi, actually all i can compare them to are the adam artist 5 (+subwoofer) that I first bought then sold. Obviously there is quite a big differenece between the two speakers, I liked the Adam Artist but they were just not doing it when listening at more than 1 m distance.

The a77xs are great even at 3-4m distance, and i'm happy about the bass response, they really go pretty low. I'm not sure i want to spend hundreds more just for the occasional subbass. Highs are very bright and clear, this might be my only critique, as sometimes the higher frequencies really cut through the rest, maybe too much?

So yeah they are loud and really fill the room, definately a "wow" effect when showing them to other people :) Oh and I put the vertically, as Adam said it would be alright.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Glad to hear you're happy with them. Do you have any photos? It'd be interesting to see what they look like on their sides (I assume you took the tweeter out and turned it around 90°).

rythmo

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
I've read somewhere that the tweeter doesn't need to be turned. I haven't dared to take out my screwdriver but maybe i should give it a try. Here's a pic:

a77x.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts