Adding components to system

jonathanbruce@me

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
I've just been given an Equaliser/Spectrum Thingy from a friend who is moving house and downsizing and got some old bits of separates (Technics SH-GE70 EQ , Technics RS-B755 Tape, Denon DCD-920 CD).. Some are ok and some are rubbish. It got me thinking though.. How do I connect an EQ to an Amp... Since I haven't yet got a proper Amp I'm not quite sure on where it goes onto my system and how to add more. Somewhere in my attic I have a basic RCA switch I could use. I'm confused ??

The CD player is using Aux 1 in , Tape is using Aux 2 in, iMac using SPDIF 1, Windows pc using SPDIF 2 and also Minidisc using SPDIF 2, also cd player is using spdif to my Minidisc unit..... hmmmm.. Maybe I should get a Separates Amp?!

Advice as always would be appreciated! and Many thanks.

jonathanbruce@me.com said:
I've just been given an Equaliser/Spectrum Thingy from a friend who is moving house and downsizing and got some old bits of separates (Technics SH-GE70 EQ , Technics RS-B755 Tape, Denon DCD-920 CD).. Some are ok and some are rubbish. It got me thinking though.. How do I connect an EQ to an Amp... Since I haven't yet got a proper Amp I'm not quite sure on where it goes onto my system and how to add more. Somewhere in my attic I have a basic RCA switch I could use. I'm confused ??

The CD player is using Aux 1 in , Tape is using Aux 2 in, iMac using SPDIF 1, Windows pc using SPDIF 2 and also Minidisc using SPDIF 2, also cd player is using spdif to my Minidisc unit..... hmmmm.. Maybe I should get a Separates Amp?!

Why do you think you need to add an Equiliser/ spectrum thingy in the first place?

When you say CD player is using Aux 1 in what do you mean? Into the Equiliser??

My advice, keep it simple and work out what is going and what you want to keep then buy an amp that will take all that and bin the Equaliser.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Al ears said:

Why do you think you need to add an Equiliser/ spectrum thingy in the first place?

When you say CD player is using Aux 1 in what do you mean? Into the Equiliser??

My advice, keep it simple and work out what is going and what you want to keep then buy an amp that will take all that and bin the Equaliser.

+1

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
What amp is it, not your '611? To use equalisers you really need an amplifier with a tape-monitor loop or one with 'pre out' / 'power in' sockets on the back, such as some old NADs. Failing that, you would have to connect the equaliser output into the line-in on the amp and connect your CD player to the equaliser's line-in, so essentially daisy-chaining it between the CD player and the amp. But first I'd ask yourself what part of your hifi's sound are you expecting it fix? Or maybe you just want to have something pretty to look at with sliders to fiddle with while you listen to music, which I guess doesn't make you a bad man.

jonathanbruce@me

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
my existing marantz cd player cd67 is plugged into my mini-hifi (Marantz m-cr611) on Analogue 1

i could sell the EQ on ebay but i thought it might be a bit of fun to have it on a setup, especially when i'm playing electronic music, such as artists like Justice, The Chemical Brothers, Daft Punk.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
None of those amps have a tape monitor loop nor pre-out/power-in sockets, so you would only ever be able to daisychain the equaliser between the amplifier and one analogue source, such as your CD player. By all means rig it up and have a play but you'll probably find the novelty wears off quickly.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
None of those amps have a tape monitor loop nor pre-out/power-in sockets, so you would only ever be able to daisychain the equaliser between the amplifier and one analogue source, such as your CD player. By all means rig it up and have a play but you'll probably find the novelty wears off quickly.

I've just Googled it and noticed it has tape sockets on the back, so technically you could rig-up two analogue sources to it, not one. But no source plugged directly into your amp could be sent through the equaliser.

jonathanbruce@me

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Ok, That's good to know!

I probably would only have it purely for the cosmetic feature it brings anyway and not for what it does. It was a freebie with the Tape (Technics RS-B755) and CD deck (Denon DCD-920) which I haven't yet tested.

My next purchase will be a decent Amp anyway to match my Zensor 3 speakers and preferably with MM/MC phonostage.

Many thanks.

jonathanbruce@me

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
I have now got the Marantz Pm6006 hooked up to my Zensor Speakers and what a difference it makes! A much better balanced sound. Next stage/step is to replace the cd67 with a better (newer) model. Any suggestions ? I was thinking maybe the CD6005/6 but am open to other suggestions, what about (dare I say) a CD recorder ? (especially since Apple Music won't let me burn to cd on either pc or mac !?! ) Do CD recorders have better DACS ? This will be my main hifi that I use all the time since my iMac 5k is also plugged into it.

insider9

I have now got the Marantz Pm6006 hooked up to my Zensor Speakers and what a difference it makes! A much better balanced sound.  Next stage/step is to replace the cd67 with a better (newer) model.  Any suggestions ? I was thinking maybe the CD6005/6 but am open to other suggestions, what about (dare I say) a CD recorder ? (especially since Apple Music won't let me burn to cd on either pc or mac !?! ) Do CD recorders have better DACS ?  This will be my main hifi that I use all the time since my iMac 5k is also plugged into it.  
I would most certainly suggest keeping CD67. I had the CD67 mkII OSE version and compared to DAC in Yamaha WXC-50 there wasn't much difference. I don't believe that an upgrade to CD6005/6 would be worthwhile.

If you're itching for an upgrade why not try adding a DAC and use CD67 as a transport? It would likely need to be in the region of Chord Mojo or above to make it worth it.

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
but it won't be new as I don't think anyone makes them anymore.

The reason you can't burn anything from Apple Music to cd is most likely down to copyright restrictions, even though you may have paid for albums or singles they are still owned by Apple crazy as it seems.

*music2*

jonathanbruce@me

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm not bothered if it's not new.. What should I look out for? I've got a few on my watch list on eBay. The only reason I would get one is purely for playing cds on car stereo and to use downstairs on other Hifi.

TRENDING THREADS