Added a Media Converter Kit

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Jasonovich

Sounds like a new thread - send us pics of the rear of your system - prizes for neatest and most untidy. I won’t be entering, I couldn’t even get a camera anywhere down the back of mine 😀.
I have a simple formula, HiFi in Man Cave = Crazy Untidy, HiFi in all other rooms = Pristine, thus wife most happy :)

Study (Man Cave):
1727877768994.png
1727877819573.png
1727878002327.png
1727878053274.png
1727878146788.png
The Lounge

1727878445975.png

🙀🙀🙀
1727878559847.png
1727878661113.png

Bedroom

1727878760739.png
1727878838085.png

Dining Room

1727878980104.png
Wifey always plonks her hair bands on my speakers, absolutely outrageous ha ha ha :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

daveh75

Can you explain why noise might be an issue, rather than is an issue, in commercial applications and wouldn't be in a home environment?

Homes don't have rack upon rack of servers and switches and bundles of cables as thick as your arm running all over the place, nor are the cable runs anywhere as long.

The twists are enough to deal with any crosstalk or noise in a domestic setting.

If noise was an issue it wouldn't manifest itself as subtle changes to SQ either...

Last edited:
Reactions: DiggyGun and DougK1
Homes don't have rack upon rack of servers and switches and bundles of cables as thick as your arm running all over the place, nor are the cable runs anywhere as long.

The twists are enough to deal with any crosstalk or noise in a domestic setting.

If noise was an issue it wouldn't manifest itself as subtle changes to SQ either...
So if they are using different cables in an industrial environment to cope with noise then it surely is an issue and indeed one more likely to raise it's head in a home environment where that signal is being converted to analogue surrounded by unshielded devices?
I rest my case M'lud!

DiggyGun

Mar 2, 2021
Visit site
The iFI iPower2 SMPS power supplies arrived and have been installed to feed the two TP-Link MC100CM Media Converters. I must admit that the quality of the iFI SMPS power supplies is very nice, the surface finish and the braiding being particularly good. The packaging is also up there with some of the top mobile phones and using five of them now to replace stock SMPS power supplies. Can’t categorically state that there is a night and day difference, but for me, the system does sound very good, playing Jazz. Plus they look and feel nicer than the stock SMPS power supplies, even though most of them are hidden.

Have also changed the Multimode Duplex SC - SC Fibre Patch Lead, it was initially an OM2 spec with Orange sheathing, the new one is an OM1 spec with Grey sheathing.

Not being that familiar with fibre patch lead specs, I’m told that “OM1 has a core size of 62.5 um and is capable of distances up to 300 metres while OM2 has a core size of 50um and can travel up to 600 metres. However OM1 is commonly used for 100Mbps applications whilst OM2 is generally used for 1000Mbps applications”. Given that the Media Converter is 100Mbs and the cable length is only one metre, I’m assuming that the OM1 spec will be fine.

Also took the opportunity to put some trunking in to totally tidy up the power cables, trying to keep the power and data cables separate.

IMG-0021.jpg

DG…

Revolutions

The iFI iPower2 SMPS power supplies arrived and have been installed to feed the two TP-Link MC100CM Media Converters. I must admit that the quality of the iFI SMPS power supplies is very nice, the surface finish and the braiding being particularly good. The packaging is also up there with some of the top mobile phones and using five of them now to replace stock SMPS power supplies. Can’t categorically state that there is a night and day difference, but for me, the system does sound very good, playing Jazz. Plus they look and feel nicer than the stock SMPS power supplies, even though most of them are hidden.

Have also changed the Multimode Duplex SC - SC Fibre Patch Lead, it was initially an OM2 spec with Orange sheathing, the new one is an OM1 spec with Grey sheathing.

Not being that familiar with fibre patch lead specs, I’m told that “OM1 has a core size of 62.5 um and is capable of distances up to 300 metres while OM2 has a core size of 50um and can travel up to 600 metres. However OM1 is commonly used for 100Mbps applications whilst OM2 is generally used for 1000Mbps applications”. Given that the Media Converter is 100Mbs and the cable length is only one metre, I’m assuming that the OM1 spec will be fine.

Also took the opportunity to put some trunking in to totally tidy up the power cables, trying to keep the power and data cables separate.

IMG-0021.jpg

DG…

Can you explain to an idiot (me) what it is you’ve setup here, and what it’s doing?

I have a selekt DSM, connected with cat5 to my mesh router. The shop I bought the preamp from have offered to lend me an Ethernet filter to test, but haven’t popped back there yet.

I do sometimes find the unit freezes when the internet gets disrupted, or something happens with my NAS server. Looking at cabling, my internet speed is only 55mbps so don’t see any reason to move beyond cat5. BUT, I’m completely new to all this & if there’s ways I can improve connection between internet/server & preamp I’m keen to try it out.

Not sure I’d expect improvements in sound quality, but I would like to be able to rely on the Linn unit working perfectly every time.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts