Add a little warmth to my Cyrus/MA combination, please!

bjd2772

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Suggestions please: I'm about to set up my Cyrus 6vs amp, CD6s & Monitor Audio RS6s speakers & would greatly appreciate some cabling advice. I have some old Nordost blue Heaven & old QED cables from my original Audiolab system but feel they may be a little dated & potentially add to the brightness of the Cyrus/MA combination. I would like something that brings some degree of balance/warmth to rather neutral Cyrus / MA combination. I've tried going back through old posts & noted Chord & DNM mentioned a few times - has anyone compared these 2? Also wondered about the Brilliance interconnect. On another site there has been some suggestion that solid copper wires would yield greater warmth over silver verions - hence they recommended Atlas. Can't say I have any experience at this degree of detail though, so need some help! Only other trouble i'm having is finding somewhere that sells at least the Chord & DNM so i can compare the 2, or anything else that may be worth an audition. Any recommended places near Preston/Bolton/Blackburn?

bjd2772

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Anyone have any views on Van den Hul cables - are these bright, neutral or a little warmer?
emotion-42.gif

John Duncan

My view is that cables won't warm up your system, you need amps or speakers to do that. They might take the edge off ragged treble or clean up midrange or tighten loose bass or whatever, but if your system lacks body that's a more fundamental issue, and you need to be looking elsewhere.

bjd2772

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
I hear what you say - for me the cd, amp & speakers give the general feel, but as i like quite neutral sounds in general i wanted something that sounded the most balanced IMO. But what i don't want to do now is turn this into a more bright sound.

And if i'm about to spend another £100-£200 on speaker & interconnect wires i'd ideally like to make the right choice straight off. Probelm is i can't find a place that can allow me to audition the like of VdH, DNM, Chord or Brilliance. So i just thought i'd go with any suggestions for a starter.

bjd2772

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Claire - and just in the nick of time! I've been reading some old reviews form WHSV on the DNM & Brilliance cables. I hadn't looked too much at van de Hull as i haven't seen many reviews on them (there are only 2 extreme options in WHSV - one at £45 the other £250 - and no recommended speaker wires).

Don't suppose you've any imminent reviews coming?

Last question - what about speaker wires, assuming vdH don't make the grade?

John Duncan

Just put a Gotham between my CD player and Amp, and it seems quite smooth (ie not harsh), for what worth, and for 12 quid for a metre, it's worth a pop. Thaiman swears by 'em, I've ordered some more to see what they're like throughout the system.

bjd2772

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Gotham? I really am a novice on the wire/cable debate. Mention Gotham & I'm thinking bats & red-breasted birds, but hey that's probably just me!

I'll scout the internet & see what I can find, but your timing is bad. Being one of those people who takes ages to make a decision (aka 'spend my money'?) I'd just - after considerable consideration - decided to opt for Black Rhodium Coda interconnect with the recently reviewed DNM Solid Core speaker wire. (I seem to recall Thaiman saying they make the Cyrus wires anyway, but I may have dreamt this).

emotion-42.gif

John Duncan

Gotham GAC-1 - guy on eBay selling them from south east London. Nice guy. Cheap enough to not worry about whether you're doing the wrong thing - am getting favourable results compared to Nordost Blue Heaven, Chord Cobra 2 and Cambridge Azur Reference.

Thaiman recomended something *other* than Gotham!?!?!?!?

bjd2772

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="JohnDuncan"]Thaiman recomended something *other* than Gotham!?!?!?!?[/quote]

Not in terms of recommending DNM - rather in another debate regards Cyrus cables he suggested the Cyrus (£30/m) might be ott when the DNM version was less than half the price & (I think) made by the same people. (DNM is actually made in Switzerland by Reson - hence the DNM Reson name).

Hope this makes sense!

MRB

Feb 20, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="bjd2772"] I'd just - after considerable consideration - decided to opt for Black Rhodium Coda interconnect with the recently reviewed DNM Solid Core speaker wire. (I seem to recall Thaiman saying they make the Cyrus wires anyway, but I may have dreamt this)[/quote]DNM cable can sound 'slightly' bright in some systems. It might be worth auditioning them before spending your money :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts