Adam Active Bargain

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Pedro2 said:
Will be great to compare the two sets of actives knowing that the Adams can be returned without hitting your wallet.

I think there will be a number of us looking forward to the comparison and I’m keeping an open mind on which one you’ll prefer.

ps got a hefty delay on the Akurate upgrade as Linn are refusing to accept any sent in for 6 weeks from dealers who don’t do the full range of kit. Talk about 1st and 2nd class service....

Enjoy your listening experiments!

Thanks Pedro2 I will do. It's not often I act so impulsively but there's no risk involved really and at worst I get to A/B them at home and see which I prefer.

Your comments about the service from Linn are disturbing but, frankly, unsurprising. Your experience and that of others, coupled with their stingy product lifespan support, is actually enough to turn me away from them completely. I think they forget (probably not) that their products are sold at a premium and excellent customer service isn't too much to expect.

I have been seriously tempted to ditch them but simply haven't been able to identify a replacement with the SQ and features I want (good control app, Tidal/Qobuz integration and over the air updates etc). The nearest I have heard personally was the Auralic Altair but I am sure there are other quality streamers out there.

I'll report back in a few days when the Adam speakers arrive and I have had time to give them a whirl.
regular_smile.png

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Paulq said:
Pedro2 said:
Will be great to compare the two sets of actives knowing that the Adams can be returned without hitting your wallet.

I think there will be a number of us looking forward to the comparison and I’m keeping an open mind on which one you’ll prefer.

ps got a hefty delay on the Akurate upgrade as Linn are refusing to accept any sent in for 6 weeks from dealers who don’t do the full range of kit. Talk about 1st and 2nd class service....

Enjoy your listening experiments!

Thanks Pedro2 I will do.  It's not often I act so impulsively but there's no risk involved really and at worst I get to A/B them at home and see which I prefer. 

Your comments about the service from Linn are disturbing but, frankly, unsurprising.  Your experience and that of others, coupled with their stingy product lifespan support, is actually enough to turn me away from them completely.  I think they forget (probably not) that their products are sold at a premium and excellent customer service isn't too much to expect.

I have been seriously tempted to ditch them but simply haven't been able to identify a replacement with the SQ and features I want (good control app, Tidal/Qobuz integration and over the air updates etc).  The nearest I have heard personally was the Auralic Altair but I am sure there are other quality streamers out there.

I'll report back in a few days when the Adam speakers arrive and I have had time to give them a whirl. 

Just a warning about the auralic app. It constantly gives grief
Check the auralic forums

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Just a warning about the auralic app. It constantly gives grief Check the auralic forums

Yeah I experienced it myself when I demo'd it a while ago. It's very flaky and a shame because otherwise it's a decent sounding/looking piece of kit.

gasolin

Paulq said:
Andrewjvt said:
I'd 2nd the last paragraph Don't be put off though as it's not as ice cold steel as you'd imagine.

I must admit I am Andrew. I am a big fan of the AE1's and reluctant to take a gamble if they are as Dave describes (and I have no reason to doubt his appraisal of them).

Speaking of the AE1's they have just reviewed it on whathifi

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Paulq said:
Andrewjvt said:

Just a warning about the auralic app. It constantly gives grief Check the auralic forums

Yeah I experienced it myself when I demo'd it a while ago. It's very flaky and a shame because otherwise it's a decent sounding/looking piece of kit.

Is DIY pc

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
How are you getting on with them?

They are very very good and have the new A Perfect Circle album on as I type.

The only slight glitch I have come across, and I don't know whether to be concerned or not, is that each speaker switched itself into standby in turn when listening to the radio earlier. Listening to music doesn't give the issue so maybe it's something to do with the quality of the radio stream. I'll keep my eye on it.

Their overwhelming quality is the clarity they bring. They really are extremely revealing but I wouldn't describe them as 'dry' or 'cold' in any sense. They have quite some scale for a small speaker.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Paulq said:
Andrewjvt said:
How are you getting on with them?

They are very very good and have the new A Perfect Circle album on as I type. 

The only slight glitch I have come across, and I don't know whether to be concerned or not, is that each speaker switched itself into standby in turn when listening to the radio earlier.  Listening to music doesn't give the issue so maybe it's something to do with the quality of the radio stream. I'll keep my eye on it.

Their overwhelming quality is the clarity they bring.  They really are extremely revealing but I wouldn't describe them as 'dry' or 'cold' in any sense.  They have quite some scale for a small speaker.

How do they compare to the are actives?

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:

I knew someone was going to ask me that.

On balance I would have to concede that they are much clearer than the AE1a's. I was 50/50 when they arrived yesterday but there was one track that absolutely separated them. On the AE1's the vocals sounded very recessed but on the Adams it was like the guy was actually in the room. As reported, the ribbon tweeter is beyond superlatives - certainly the best I have ever heard.

That's not a criticism of the AE1a's by any means - they are excellent in all respects.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Paulq said:
Andrewjvt said:

I knew someone was going to ask me that. 

On balance I would have to concede that they are much clearer than the AE1a's.  I was 50/50 when they arrived yesterday but there was one track that absolutely separated them.  On the AE1's the vocals sounded very recessed but on the Adams it was like the guy was actually in the room. As reported, the ribbon tweeter is beyond superlatives - certainly the best I have ever heard.

That's not a criticism of the AE1a's by any means - they are excellent in all respects.  

Do you find the musicality suffer or enjoyment/involvement?

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:

Not at all - they party just as well. The bass is quite prodigious for such a small cabinet and, so far, there isn't a genre that I have thrown at them which they haven't handled with ease.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Paulq said:
Andrewjvt said:

Not at all - they party just as well. The bass is quite prodigious for such a small cabinet and, so far, there isn't a genre that I have thrown at them which they haven't handled with ease.

To audition the s series 3 way at funky junk for a while now
This may just be the kick i need.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
newlash09 said:
Considering the great sound, these but be a fantastic buy even at mrp.

@paulQ - will you be considering replacing one of your pairs of AE1's with the Adam artists.

I think that is highly likely, maybe even both.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Paulq said:
newlash09 said:
Considering the great sound, these but be a fantastic buy even at mrp.

@paulQ - will you be considering replacing one of your pairs of AE1's with the Adam artists.

I think that is highly likely, maybe even both.

Do you have 2 pairs are actives?

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
insider9 said:
What's your opinion on ribbon tweeters? Have you heard a decent pair of speakers with some ribbons?

I like them
I have no preference and depends on the design of speaker as to witch one is best
But since this successful Adam purchase, I'm going to test the s range 3 way as a possible main speaker and I'll be able to ab instant switch between speakers in studio environment demo room with proper acoustics.
Just finding the time is my issue.

My only issue with ribbon tweeter is the narrow sweet spot as I rarely just sit and listen and move around alot but the Adam wave guide possibly helps here

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts