Adam A7X and Audiolabs Mdac

zebwach

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Towards the end of a heavy drinking session yesterday I went a little crazy and orderd myself a set of Adam A7X's, Audiolabs Mdac with cable and stands! As I have not heard these products, what the hell should I expect to hear from them!!!!????

My room is a fully treated dedicated sound room that is 3.5m long and 2.8m wide.

I have done lots of auditioning over the last 4 months building up to this moment and am a little annoyed at alcahol for making purchase products that I have not heard!

Top of my list of things that I had heard and realy liked were the AVI ADMRS's and the KEF R300 and Roksan Kandy BT Combo. Are the Adams likely to sound anything like these?

Following a shot of Green Chartreuse I also opted for the next day delivery, so I wont have long to wait. What do you guys in the know think, have I done a good thing or a bad thing?!

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
zebwach said:
Towards the end of a heavy drinking session yesterday I went a little crazy and orderd myself a set of Adam A7X's, Audiolabs Mdac with cable and stands! As I have not heard these products, what the hell should I expect to hear from them!!!!???? My room is a fully treated dedicated sound room that is 3.5m long and 2.8m wide. I have done lots of auditioning over the last 4 months building up to this moment and am a little annoyed at alcahol for making purchase products that I have not heard! Top of my list of things that I had heard and realy liked were the AVI ADMRS's and the KEF R300 and Roksan Kandy BT Combo. Are the Adams likely to sound anything like these? Following a shot of Green Chartreuse I also opted for the next day delivery, so I wont have long to wait. What do you guys in the know think, have I done a good thing or a bad thing?!

I have very few total prohibitions in my life.

Drinking anything green being one of them......... ;)

Good luck with your new toys. A couple of thoughts.

Use good stands, hi-fi, not studio, to mount your speakers.

If you can, try both XLR and phono interconnects, the Adams definitely work better on XLR, not sure about the M-Dac.

Both outputs from the M-Dac are higher than nominal, use the gain controls on the A7x to give yourself a sensible volume range on the M-Dac.

The tweeter gain on the rear of the speaker is pivotal, important you get that right. The bass shelving is helpful with positioning too.

If you have not used speakers of this type before, be aware that you will play them much louder than you realise due to the lack of hi-fi warmth etc.

zebwach

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Top advise, ill bare that in mind. I will only be using the cheap free stands provided with them from 'gear4music' for a start until funds allow for better ones.

But will they sound awesome!!!??

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
zebwach said:
Top advise, ill bare that in mind. I will only be using the cheap free stands provided with them from 'gear4music' for a start until funds allow for better ones. But will they sound awesome!!!??

Clearly you will get the stands and no doubt use them, but, if they are the usual models, they are too high, too light and probably not that stable.

Shorter, heavier stands are required in due course.

What cables do you have and what is your source?

Broner

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
zebwach said:
Towards the end of a heavy drinking session yesterday I went a little crazy and orderd myself a set of Adam A7X's, Audiolabs Mdac with cable and stands! As I have not heard these products, what the hell should I expect to hear from them!!!!???? My room is a fully treated dedicated sound room that is 3.5m long and 2.8m wide. I have done lots of auditioning over the last 4 months building up to this moment and am a little annoyed at alcahol for making purchase products that I have not heard! Top of my list of things that I had heard and realy liked were the AVI ADMRS's and the KEF R300 and Roksan Kandy BT Combo. Are the Adams likely to sound anything like these? Following a shot of Green Chartreuse I also opted for the next day delivery, so I wont have long to wait. What do you guys in the know think, have I done a good thing or a bad thing?!

That's the way! Anyway, when it comes to sound, Dave forgot to mention to you that he's quite fond of this pair of speakers and I believe it's generally considered as one of the absolute best monitors for it's price. Anyway, if you're not completely sure, just be sure to open up everything nicely and gently so that you can always return it within a couple of days as is your right when you buy online.

zebwach

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
davedotco said:
zebwach said:
Top advise, ill bare that in mind. I will only be using the cheap free stands provided with them from 'gear4music' for a start until funds allow for better ones. But will they sound awesome!!!??

Clearly you will get the stands and no doubt use them, but, if they are the usual models, they are too high, too light and probably not that stable.

Shorter, heavier stands are required in due course.

What cables do you have and what is your source?

They are height adjustable, but do look flimsy. Ill be getting something sturdy and hugely heavy as soon as my bank balance looks healthier!

The cable situation is quite embarasing! I was so wasted that iv orderd a mini jack to split rca's! What I needed and am now looking at ordering is some balanced leads. Any recommendations?

All my music is in lossless WAV format on pc and shall be using a usb connection to control my music playback asynchronously with the MDAC. I use FooBar as my media player.

zebwach

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Holly POOO! They have arrived at work and iv set them up. Just running them off my phone using WAV music. They sound absolutly incredible!!! Was worried about them being able to play my dubstep collection when I first spotted them, but omg they go loud! Its a 40m * 30m office and they easily fill it with sound.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
zebwach said:
Holly POOO! They have arrived at work and iv set them up. Just running them off my phone using WAV music. They sound absolutly incredible!!! Was worried about them being able to play my dubstep collection when I first spotted them, but omg they go loud! Its a 40m * 30m office and they easily fill it with sound.

Active. It's the way forward. ;)

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Congrats on a successful drunken purchase!!! I used to own Adam A7s a while ago, they were very good so I imagine the improved A7X is even better.

zebwach

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I have been home with them all set up now for over an hour. Despite me only running them from my Sound Blaster ZX Sound Card via 3.5mm and RCA connections, they sound simply stunning. All the usual cliche's of hearing noises on songs that i never heard before.....are very true here. What is very surprising though is the amount of low end heft they throw out, particularly as they are quite small units to look at. From memory, they sound similar a to the AVI ADMRS's, although its very difficult to judge unless they were side by side and were listened to in a totaly different room aswel.

Im running them in, so havn't pushed them too hard. But I have had them up to some house rumbling volumes and there isnt even a hint of them struggling or distortion. Just tight as a tight thing no matter where the volume *** is.

Basicly Im stupidly happy right now. So much so that im going to crack open a beer,- I wonder what will get delivered tomorrow!!!!

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
zebwach said:
I have been home with them all set up now for over an hour. Despite me only running them from my Sound Blaster ZX Sound Card via 3.5mm and RCA connections, they sound simply stunning. All the usual cliche's of hearing noises on songs that i never heard before.....are very true here. What is very surprising though is the amount of low end heft they throw out, particularly as they are quite small units to look at. From memory, they sound similar a to the AVI ADMRS's, although its very difficult to judge unless they were side by side and were listened to in a totaly different room aswel.

Im running them in, so havn't pushed them too hard. But I have had them up to some house rumbling volumes and there isnt even a hint of them struggling or distortion. Just tight as a tight thing no matter where the volume *** is.

Basicly Im stupidly happy right now. So much so that im going to crack open a beer,- I wonder what will get delivered tomorrow!!!!

The ADMs if you're lucky. :p

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Any update on this? I've had my eye on the A7X for a while and I've now seen a pair of A7X and an M-DAC come up at good 2nd hand prices...

Then again, I'm kind of tempted to wait and hear the new Pioneer U-05 which should be out soon, but then again I have little interest in the capability to run balanced headphones.

http://tinyurl.com/lmz4ffb[/b]

TRENDING THREADS