Active Speaker Suggestions...?

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
This has nothing to do with those of a certain company who's active speakers have had a lot of attention here lately lol! In fact, they would be way over budget. Anyway, im trying to get an idea of whats out there in terms of entry level active speakers, that could be plugged straight into a pc...? I'm asking on behalf of a mate, but will give you any more info i can. Lets say a budget of up to £500, but thats the absolute max - lower if possible if you could...?

A

Anonymous

If you search on Google for active speakers and click the Shopping link you'll see that there are lots out there, mainly from pro companies.

The problem is that the DAC in your PC probably won't be good, which is why an active speaker with a good DAC is essential.

As I am a fan of active speakers could somebody also recommend me active speakers that include digital and analogue inputs, a remote-controlled pre amp, and most importantly, a domestically acceptable finish.
I know AVI do them, but what else is there in case I fancy a change? Meridian?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="al7478"]So, you come and tell me to use google, then ask for the same advice yourself...? Nice ;)[/quote]

oh this is good!!!!!!!! :)

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="JAXON5"][quote user="al7478"]So, you come and tell me to use google, then ask for the same advice yourself...? Nice ;)[/quote]

oh this is good!!!!!!!! :)[/quote]

Sorry all, i was being a bit prickly, but was half joking at the same time, and id hope people didnt miss the wink, JAXON5...!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="al7478"][quote user="JAXON5"][quote user="al7478"]So, you come and tell me to use google, then ask for the same advice yourself...? Nice ;)[/quote]

oh this is good!!!!!!!! :)[/quote]

Sorry all, i was being a bit prickly, but was half joking at the same time, and id hope people didnt miss the wink, JAXON5...![/quote]

No apologies needed :) just thought it was a nice comedy moment :-0)

A

Anonymous

Sorry, the Google link wasn't me being rude, I meant that the Google Shopping link will quickly show you many options:

http://www.google.co.uk/products?hl=en&q=active%20speakers&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wf

I am genuinely interested to know what speakers offer the same functionality as the AVIs.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="al7478"]This has nothing to do with those of a certain company who's active speakers have had a lot of attention here lately lol! In fact, they would be way over budget. Anyway, im trying to get an idea of whats out there in terms of entry level active speakers, that could be plugged straight into a pc...? I'm asking on behalf of a mate, but will give you any more info i can. Lets say a budget of up to £500, but thats the absolute max - lower if possible if you could...?[/quote]

We've found the Audioengine range great budget active-speaker options for PCs and 'Pods (and other MP3 players). The £200 A5 model is one of our current Award winners.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="darrenwm1"]Sorry, the Google link wasn't me being rude, I meant that the Google Shopping link will quickly show you many options:

http://www.google.co.uk/products?hl=en&q=active%20speakers&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wf

I am genuinely interested to know what speakers offer the same functionality as the AVIs.[/quote]

No problem, i was just being silly.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Clare Newsome"]
[quote user="al7478"]This has nothing to do with those of a certain company who's active speakers have had a lot of attention here lately lol! In fact, they would be way over budget. Anyway, im trying to get an idea of whats out there in terms of entry level active speakers, that could be plugged straight into a pc...? I'm asking on behalf of a mate, but will give you any more info i can. Lets say a budget of up to £500, but thats the absolute max - lower if possible if you could...?[/quote]

We've found the Audioengine range great budget active-speaker options for PCs and 'Pods (and other MP3 players). The £200 A5 model is one of our current Award winners.

[/quote]

Cheers! I've heard of them but they completely slipped me mind. That site appears to give prices in dollars, do you know if i can find them in GBP anywhere?

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Clare Newsome"]
UK stockist of the whole range here

[/quote]

You're good you, aintcha? Many thanks all. Any more suggestions gratefully recieved but i think hes prettty keen on those.

A

Anonymous

A few muso friends of mine use Genelec monitors in their studio setups and I have to say they're incredible for their size. Seem to be pretty well regarded for home cinema and hifi use as well.

The quad active 12L's are also probably worth a look at, although I haven't heard them myself most things that come out of the Quad stable are superb.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
megahippy - Thanks! So far the quads and the audioengines are looking favourite. Does anyone know - do the quads need standard phono connections, and therefore a soundcard...?

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="al7478"]megahippy - Thanks! So far the quads and the audioengines are looking favourite. Does anyone know - do the quads need standard phono connections, and therefore a soundcard...?[/quote]

Anyone...? Sorry, i know im being dumb, but i havent got beyond the point where i need reassurance on connections - "I'm 'alf a man" LOL!

A

Anonymous

The Quad website doesn't seem to be able to tell you but I assume it'd be standard phono connections but I'd call quad up to make sure if I were you. What source were you thinking of using with them?

edit* just read your 1st post again. I suppose you could just use a mini jack to phono converter but I'm not sure if you could get high quality ones. Otherwise you'd have to get a soundcard with phono outputs

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="megahippy"]
The Quad website doesn't seem to be able to tell you but I assume it'd be standard phono connections but I'd call quad up to make sure if I were you. What source were you thinking of using with them?

edit* just read your 1st post again. I suppose you could just use a mini jack to phono converter but I'm not sure if you could get high quality ones. Otherwise you'd have to get a soundcard with phono outputs
[/quote]

Thanks a lot!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts