Active or Passive for a Sonos based system?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello all

With a Sonos as a source for a living room system can you let me know your recommendations and experiences of adding an amp and speakers to this source. Music types are everything.

Do you get better value for money going for active speakers?

Should you throw an external DAC into the chain?

Speakers can only be stand mounts (or possibly very good looking slim floorstanders). Budget is £500.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

well I thought I better sign up and comment seeing as GR is asking this question on my behalf.

Thanks G...

I'd double the budget though :D...

I've got ZP 90 connected to Audioengine 2 speakers (they may not be strictly active by definition, but do the job very well). The performance is quite good for a small to medium sized room. Audioengine 5 performs even better.

It definitely is a lot cheaper option than going for ZP120 or buying an amplifier & a passive speaker.

Both options have their advantages & disadvantages. You can get better performance from a dedicated amplifier, but some of the active speakers give the amplifiers a run for their money.

When you talk about value for money & have a set budget, I would suggest skip the DAC in the first instance. Buy one only if you're not happy with your system's performance.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
To maximise budget, leave out the external DAC. You can always add one later if you feel the need, besides, the Sonos DAC is reported to be quite respectable.

Horses for courses regarding active vs passive. If you do go active, make sure that you get monitors that can accept phono inputs, a lot only accept balanced inputs, although phono plug to balanced connector cables are available.

You also need to consider some sort of volume control. FYI, there are some Dynaudio BM5As on a well know auction site right now.

For the best value for money, careful shopping on the second hand market would get you a nice amp and speakers in your budget and the choices are nearly endless.

Others will be along later to give you their recommendations.

A

Anonymous

Intersting thought. I have Audioengine A2's attached to my Mac in the study and absolutely love them. They get about 5 hours use on average per day as I work from home.

I spent an hour or so in the local emporium yesterday and the advice I got there was that the DAC in the ZP90 was perfectly adequate for anything that I am likely to add for my budget. Of course it's always a future upgrade.

The options I have in my mind are (in no particular order, probably increasing budget each time):

a) Adding a second Play:5 to make a stereo pair.

b) ZP90 through an integrated amp to a set of shelf / stand mounts

c) ZP90 through to a pair of ATC actives

d) ZP90 through a power amp to something like B&W CM8 (she who must be obeyed demands that if they're floorstanders they are elegant and slim, just like myself of course!)

Yes I've not listened to anything but then there are so many options, one has to start somewhere!

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
simonp said:
well I thought I better sign up and comment seeing as GR is asking this question on my behalf.

Thanks G...

I'd double the budget though :D...

That opens up a lot more options...............

If it were me, I'd be looking at Mackie HR624 or HR824, BM5As or BM6As and Genelec 8040 monitors, try ex dem for a better price. Couple them with a DAC/Preamp combo, such as the Matrix iDAC. AVI ADM 9s also fit the bill if you can find a nice used pair.

Plenty more options on the passive front too.

A

Anonymous

up close is all ready sorted, I'm happy with my study set up.

This is for the lounge

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Then my suggestion would be perhaps the Mackie HR824 ex dem at £800 and use either an audio interface or Matrix iDAC to provide the preamp section. They are pro audio, however and you may not like the look, but they are very good monitors. My friend uses them in his studio.

Messiah

If your budget can stretch then I would definitely consider the AVI ADM 9.1T. They are active speakers with built in pre-amp and DAC. They offer stunning sound quality and are stupendous value for for money. IMO of course (and most who own them!)

For a lower priced option I would also consider the Aktimate Minis and Maxis. I have the minis and I am very impressed with them.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
simonp said:
d) ZP90 through a power amp to something like B&W CM8 (she who must be obeyed demands that if they're floorstanders they are elegant and slim, just like myself of course!)

The B&W CM8's are very elegant speakers but over £1200 so they may not fit into your original budget. Have you seen the Leema Xones on flea bay? The black ash one (very 90s) is a shade under £600 for brand new speakers that were £1800 two or three years ago. These are not so tall and very slim and look very nice with the grilles off ... read the reviews and see what you think.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts