Active Monitors - query

rich51080

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
Hi All.

I was watching a Trivium and In flames Documentary last night and noticed the recording studio used Genelec Monitors - npt sure which model but they were stunning beauties.

My question is are they suitable for personal home use or are they studio only? Also if they are suitable for home use(surely they mus be as they listened to the bands cd through the, how do you connect them up - I have a Naim pre and Power amp. Would i only need a cd player to link into them?

Advice needed as thinking of going Active and linking a Naim CDX2 into some Active Monitors.

Genelec states for the majority of their monitors that only "mains power and line level input signal are needed". I would have thought, however, that a preamp would be needed as I do not see how else you control the volume, or indeed add another source into the equation. You may guess from the above I am not an active-monitor man but hope it helps!

Genelec states for the majority of their monitors that only "mains power and line level input signal are needed". I would have thought, however, that a preamp would be needed as I do not see how else you control the volume, or indeed add another source into the equation. You may guess from the above I am not an active-monitor man but hope it helps!

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
You could run a Naim CX-2 into a pair of actives. However, most actives don't have remotes and often the volume control is on the back of the monitor (often 2 seperate volume controls - 1 per monitor).

Also, you can use them for home use but, like any product in HiFi, you really need to try a pair for yourself to see if you like them...

A

Anonymous

Yup and the reason why they are used in custom installs, not to put too finer point on it, is because. they are excellent.

T

the record spot

:cheer: :bounce: :beer: :rockout: :cheers: :clap: :cheer:

T

the record spot

Genelec - brilliant for the money. The 8240s are a fine listen. Not heard a bad set to date regardless of price. Amazing bass given the dimensions of the speaker. Better? Maybe, but KEF References would be somewhere behind in the list if there are IMO. 8)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
the record spot said:
Genelec - brilliant for the money. The 8240s are a fine listen. Not heard a bad set to date regardless of price. Amazing bass given the dimensions of the speaker. Better? Maybe, but KEF References would be somewhere behind in the list if there are IMO. 8)

.....depends on whose list. :)

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
In all honesty, Martin Logan and Magnepan are in a different league. Go have a listen, they are stunning. The cheaper Magnepans a serious bargains. If you have the room, nothing comes close.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
The cheaper Magnepans a serious bargains. If you have the room, nothing comes close.

The US $599 MMGs are not available in the UK (that I can find anyway). The cheapest available Magneplanars seem to be the (much larger) MG12s for £1495.

I guess you are making recommendations based on what's available in Australia.

(Magnepan don't even list a UK importer or distributor. Just US and Canada.)

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Magnepans are sold by Midland Audio Exchange who have them on demo at the moment, Stone Audio and Guildford Audio.

Prices have gone down recently, they came in via Sweden and distributed here by Decent Audio. The mark up on each move to the UK made them expensive here, but now a little cheaper as the Swedish importer and Manpepan brought the prices down about £500 a pair for the UK market.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
In all honesty, Martin Logan and Magnepan are in a different league. Go have a listen, they are stunning. The cheaper Magnepans a serious bargains. If you have the room, nothing comes close.

You may be right but they weren't available.

I went with the Refs because they were wife friendly, child friendly, supurb for a 50/50 mix of AV and 2 channel, wide sound dispersal, had boundry compensation, were on a great ex-dem offer and available locally.

Which models have you heard from the current Kef Ref range, and what was connected to them?

Apology to OP for diverting this thread. :oops:

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
shooter69 said:
Magnepans are sold by Midland Audio Exchange who have them on demo at the moment, Stone Audio and Guildford Audio.

The least expensive Magnepans sold at Midland Audio Exchange (like Stoneaudio) are also the £1495 MG12s.

Guildford Audio only list a used pair of MG1.4s. No new stock that I can see.

I still can't find a UK stockist for the $599 MMGs.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
as others have said, you'll need a pre-amp. you might need some rca to xlr cables if your pre doesn't have a balanced output. studio actives can make absolutely stunning home hifi, the sound per pound on offer is, imo, waaay higher then with traditional amplifier and passive speaker set-ups. depending on budget i recommend trying to get a demo of the event opals too, i preferred them to the genelecs and they include some very good parametric eq to cancel out bass room modes. i've never been able to get good results in my room with speakers that have deep bass, after using the opals room measuring microphone and software i now know why - a 12db peak at 47hz! the eq allows me to effectively remove it. :dance:

go listen to some, i reckon you will be very impressed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts