Acoustic Energy Extreme 5 - Outdoor speaker, any good?

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
I plan to extend my hi-fi to the garden. Are the above speakers (they are about £95 per speaker, not pair), any good? I have a large garden near a noisy road.

Thank you

System

• Musical Fidelity A3.2 Amp (used as integrated for CD's but as Power Amp only for AV system)
  • Musical Fidelity A3.2 CD
  • Monitor Audio Silver S8 (front speakers)
    + Q Acoustics 1010 5.1 surround making a 7.1 system
  • Denon 1920 DVD player
  • Denon 1906 AV Receiver (feeds front speakers via A3.2 amp, but the rest direct)
  • Sky HD
  • Benq HD Ready Projector

Juzzie Wuzzie

Indirect answer to your question. I have a pair of CAD$20 speakers on my deck wired into the Onkyo 605 (second room) and they do the job just fine. Outside isn't going to be much more than "ambient" or "background" music, so I wouldn't go breaking the bank (personally). Maybe consider the "rock" speakers you see around, or the JBL controls? Bottom line, better places to spend good money I would suggest?

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
Hi Juzzie Wuzzie.

Thanks for the advice. I have heard 'rock' speakers at a friends house but feel that they are not loud or clear enough for the area concerned. It is a large patio that extends out to a garden - my main goal is to block the road noise!

Hopefully somebody on this forum may have experience of the Acoustic Energy Extreme 5's.

Thanks again.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Not being funny, but I always just crank it in the lounge and leave all me doors and windows open....Works for me..... But I do live on a quiet cul-de-sac in a quiet village in a quiet part of Kent.

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
Hi Big Chris

I have tried that - it is not anywhere near loud enough (even when it's so loud indoors that the furniture shakes)!

Thanks

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Hi Chris,

Probably far too late on the reply here!

ÿ

We designed the Extreme 5's to be exceptional outdoor speakers and great speakers full-stop! They actually work pretty well on stands as conventional speakers (once you get around the awkwardness of the wall-mount bracket on a stand and place them near a wall as they were intended for balance).

We had them running outside on a 1000watt P.A. amp when we designed them, they take power well and sound huge considering their compact dimensions. As with all speakers it's best to try and audition but obviously not so easy with the outdoor variety... I'm entirely confident they perform better than ANY other similar-sized outdoor speakers - we auditioned all we could find when we made them (and I'm always the one praising the competition/criticising our products until I believe they're better!). If you get the chance listen to a pair - you won't be disappointed.

ÿ

James Luce

Brand Manager

Acoustic Energy Ltdÿ

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
Hi AEJim

You will be pleased to know that I took the plunge anyway and bought an AE5. It sounds great and has plenty enough volume. Unfortunately the weather has been so poor that we've only used it 3-4 times. I will probaly buy a second one next summer to get the full effect.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

My grandparents have a pair of them being powered by a 260watt/channel 1977 JVC Receiver...they do sound brilliant and the price is excellent, I must say! Once again AE make some excellent speakers! (just turn up your speakers more at the hi-fi shows!)

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Xanderzdad:
Hi AEJim

You will be pleased to know that I took the plunge anyway and bought an AE5.ÿ It sounds great and has plenty enough volume.ÿ Unfortunately the weather has been so poor that we've only used it 3-4 times.ÿ I will probaly buy a second one next summer to get the full effect.

Thanks

ÿ

Glad to hear it! I was looking out the office window yesterday and thinking it's about time we had a "real" Summer again - must be a few years since we had a month or more of straight sunshine!!! (Not just for outdoor speaker listening of course! ;))

ÿ

"My grandparents have a pair of them being powered by a 260watt/channel 1977 JVC Receiver...they do sound brilliant and the price is excellent, I must say! Once again AE make some excellent speakers! (just turn up your speakers more at the hi-fi shows!)"

Well I had the Neo 3's playing "Rage Against the Machine" loud enough at Bristol this year for the porter (well, doorholder at least) on the other side of the coffee area outside our room to be rocking out! :)

I would always suggest anyone visiting Hi-Fi shows to bring their own material and ask to play it on the systems (be warned - some companies, or even different staff will be more accomodating than others), it's a far better way to compare the differences in sound than listening to the specially selected material on offer. For most of us it's nice to hear something different than the same old tracks three days running! Please note - taste may come into the equation - the guys that brought "Europe's" "The final countdown" to play on the £15k+ system we had at Manchester a few years back scared (scarred?) me!! (luckilly I left Laura, our sales lady at the time, to listen while I had to make a fast getaway down the corridor ;))

Cheers,

ÿ

Jim.ÿ

ÿÿ

A

Anonymous

AEJim:Xanderzdad:
Hi AEJim

You will be pleased to know that I took the plunge anyway and bought an AE5.ÿ It sounds great and has plenty enough volume.ÿ Unfortunately the weather has been so poor that we've only used it 3-4 times.ÿ I will probaly buy a second one next summer to get the full effect.

Thanks

ÿ

Glad to hear it! I was looking out the office window yesterday and thinking it's about time we had a "real" Summer again - must be a few years since we had a month or more of straight sunshine!!! (Not just for outdoor speaker listening of course! ;))

ÿ

"My grandparents have a pair of them being powered by a 260watt/channel 1977 JVC Receiver...they do sound brilliant and the price is excellent, I must say! Once again AE make some excellent speakers! (just turn up your speakers more at the hi-fi shows!)"

Well I had the Neo 3's playing "Rage Against the Machine" loud enough at Bristol this year for the porter (well, doorholder at least) on the other side of the coffee area outside our room to be rocking out! :)

I would always suggest anyone visiting Hi-Fi shows to bring their own material and ask to play it on the systems (be warned - some companies, or even different staff will be more accomodating than others), it's a far better way to compare the differences in sound than listening to the specially selected material on offer. For most of us it's nice to hear something different than the same old tracks three days running! Please note - taste may come into the equation - the guys that brought "Europe's" "The final countdown" to play on the £15k+ system we had at Manchester a few years back scared (scarred?) me!! (luckilly I left Laura, our sales lady at the time, to listen while I had to make a fast getaway down the corridor ;))

Cheers,

ÿ

Jim.ÿ

ÿÿ

Damn, I missed that! I was there on Sataurday. AE had a good room, if I remember, opposite the stairs next to the coffee area and near where they were selling lots of vinyl. I came in briefly and had a quick word with my dad and you guys (you were by far the coolest guys at the show and were the most approachable by a mile!), but some lonely "audiophile" was sitting saying "oh the soundstage's not deep enough" and "you really should tone down that tweeter" and lots of silly nonsense! What were you using on the NEO 3's? It was a Naim of some sort, that's all I remember. Have you got the same room in 2009? If so, I'm coming with my "Greatest YES CD" (lol) and you'll get them cranking, right? I'm expecting good things people...good things!

I also want to get PMC to stick on Van Halen's Jump (i'm not joking, people!) on their EB1i speakers and the Bryston amps they have! That would be awsome!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts