Acoustic Energy ae109 first impressions

robdmarsh

I just heard these today and I was very impressed.

I heard them on the end of what I believe was a Bluesound Powernode 2 (integrated streming device and amp) and the sound was nicely detailed, musical and punchy without being tiring. Personally I preferred them to B&W 685s2 and 684s2 and Monitor Audio bronze 5. The 685s2 sounded admitedly more muscly but the AE didn't sound at all weedy in comparison and the Monitor Audio sounded very detailed but maybe a touch fatiguing in the treble. The B&W 684 I thought were the least impressive.

What also struck me about the ae109 was how much sound was coming from a really small enclosure, which surprised me and got me wondering how they would sound on the end of my Marantz mcr603 which is rated at 40wpc.

Anyway, I thought they were a great little speaker which bodes well for the newly British owned Acoustic Energy.

Has anybody else heard them and what impression did they make?

robdmarsh

Sure is. I wondered if I should have made that clear in my original post. Anyway, nice little speaker. I know that some people say that small floorstanders don't work but they should hear these. They're really nice imo.

insider9

Not quite, I kinda like small floorstanders. They can be better than many standmounts. Something like Epos M15.2 or QLN Qubic 122 are absolutely amazing speakers at a tiny footprint.

Sadly not heard these AE but heard good things about originals. Always fancied having some Acoustic Energy speakers and AE2 are still one of the best standmounts I've even heard.

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I think that the shop where I bought my AE1a had the new 109 on demo in another room. The owner mentioned them and said that they were fantastic value for money; great sound and first class finish on the cabinets.

postup_crni

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Rob,

I had a previous model and liked it a lot, glad the new model is fine. I might consider them again for a 2nd system.

My pair was powered by Marantz CR603 ;-) and I can only recommend it, clean sounding, good instrument separation, but warm enough. Powerful enough for reasonable/louder listening in a medium-size room (up to 20m2), I would not use it for parties. In case you decide on AE109new, they will certainly be able to accomodate better electronics later (bigger Marantz or Naim, if they are similar to their predecessor).

Anyway, if the dealer is not too far away, you can easily bring your Marantz along (3-4 kgs, no?) and see/hear for yourself.

postup

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts