Accuracy / fidelity vs musicality

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site

insider9

lindsayt said:
Macspur bring your SHL5's to Owston on 30th June or 1st July. Or just bring a pair of ears.

http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7226&start=60

There will be some speakers there that do actually sound natural.
Lindsay, may I ask if the invite extends to others? Also would one be able to attend without bringing their speakers?

I wouldn't be able to carry mine having sustained an injury to my arm on the way back from Kegworth. But with the venue being half hour drive it would be very interested in hearing what's on show.

insider9

How can we expect to achieve same playback from different bits of gear, in different rooms, with different hearing, etc.?

Consider just the tweeters... domes sound different than horns, that again sound different to ribbons... Now which do you think is the right approach? And if it's right is it universally right or just right for specific uses and musical styles?

Lastly would it not be just boring if all systems sounded the same?

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
insider9 said:
How can we expect to achieve same playback from different bits of gear, in different rooms, with different hearing, etc.?

Consider just the tweeters... domes sound different than horns, that again sound different to ribbons... Now which do you think is the right approach? And if it's right is it universally right or just right for specific uses and musical styles?

Lastly would it not be just boring if all systems sounded the same?

I couldn't agree more.

I have two systems (actually four - if I swap the components around) and they sound very different to each other. I enjoy both equally, but for different reasons. Devialet and Focal give the most neutral, detailed and exciting non-fatiguing listen, whilst Unison Research and Sonus Faber give a lush, euphonic, gloriously musical presentation. The other two combinations give something in between.

Vive La Difference!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts