Abrahamsen amplifiers

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
33RPM said:
of what I heard last night, bringing a pre-amp into the setup.

The pre-amp was an (expensive) audionet pre. We couldn't use the balanced outputs though because we had XLR cables with the wrong terminals. After warming up etc... we noticed a slight improvement in stereo image with the Abrahamsen, but detail sank away further making the presentation absolutely dull. Maybe some more warming up would have cured this for some lenghth. But thats the price of amp swapping.

With the Bel Canto there was virtually no change except for a light veiling of detail.

Conclusion one: using a passive amp works fine and gave a better results then a pre in terms of clarity for both amps. I'm keeping it.

Conclusion two: The Abrahamsen didn't benefit. of the use of a pre-amp. It lost some of (to my ears) its main qualities: the fine midband, with beguiling voice, guitar and/or solo instruments. Bass stayed muddled and detail insufficient. I think a single amp lacks the power to drive the PMCs to full potential. It just didn't meet the right company to shine. Maybe I get the change to try two bridged amps and will this turn things for the better. Power seems key.

Conclusion three: putting the Bel Canto and the Abrahamsen next to each other highlighted strenghts and weaknesses of both amps. The voices of the Bel Canto seemed a bit artificial and thin in comparison with the Abrahamsen, while the Abrahamsen lacked control. The Bel Canto manages on the other hand to give a fine sense of placement of instruments and detail. I will have to look further, but have learned alot.

Note: maybe my sources could be of better quality, but as I heard them perform well in different areas (detail, midrange, bass, control..) depending on the amp, I don't expect there lies a big problem. I also swapped power cables and interconnects to make sure there was no problem there.

From your description it seems like an preamp output / power amp input mismatch.

It is usually ( but not always ) best to use a preamp from the same manufacturer to avoid what you are experiencing .

The Abrahamsen should power you FB1i's easily with plenty to spare, don't be fooled by the 70 wpc output they can provide a massive amount of transient power using very high current output under dynamic conditions also bass control is one of the Abrahamsen strengths so I can only think there is another factor at play here .

I would also check out the Nord power amps from IQ speakers they might be more to your taste.

http://www.iqspeakers.co.uk/hypex-amps?gclid=CJfq-7nu9MgCFSoEwwodtMEDOQ

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Indeed here is a review, the guy is driving PMC FB1i's However the OP is hearing what he is hearing and its difficult to diagnose his issue without bing there. I'm assuming the guy who you borrowed it from has good results? have you spoken to him?

I would also add the Nord One UP has even better bass control, As Electro say bass control is a Abrahamsen strenth.

Review
The delivery man arrives with the package. Once it’s signed for I scurry upstairs with it to the mancave. I am a little surprised that it isn’t a little heavier (16kg) but it’s certainly no lightweight. Unpacked, it’s an attractive beast! The first thing that struck me was how it even looks like it should be part of the Electrocompaniet family.

It isn’t of course, but the Abrahamsen in the title may be a clue to more than a few people here. It is indeed designed by Per Abrahamsen – the main man in Electrocompaniet’s earlier days and the head honcho here too. All black but for the two solid brass dials, the gold lettering and the 4 gold screws holding the glass front in place. All very “Electrocompaniet” in looks then although thankfully the width is a standard 430mm and not a rack-busting 19” like the older models.

There is a relatively heavy remote (no plastic here) which I notice has a couple of Allen screws holding the battery compartment on but at least the correct sized Allen key is also provided. Believe me, this thing looks like it is really made to last. Around the back there is provision for 3 line level inputs plus one balanced (XLR) connection. Once powered up you see how clear and easily readable the LCD display is. All good so far.

I had decided before it’s arrival that I would give it a gentle introduction and immediately hooked it up to my Acoustic Precision Eikos CD player (via Transparent Audio Music Link Ultra interconnects) and my Cyrus CLS70 bookshelf speakers ( via Cable Talk Concert 2.1 cables). The difficult task of driving my PMC FB1+’s would have to wait a little longer.

The Eikos has been with me for many years and delivers a well- balanced full range sound that can be relied upon to tell me what is happening with the rest of the system. It is also one of the most analogue sounding CD players that I have ever heard. Boy was I in for a giant surprise when I sat down to listen to my first disc. The sound wasn’t great. It was as though the mid band was being sucked out of the mix. I rushed to check my connections but found no mistakes.

At this point I correctly surmised that a warm up may be necessary. I left it playing and I carried on listening but with far less intent. The sound gradually improved until it sounded different again after maybe 20 minutes. It was now sounding more like I had expected, in fact it was actually responsible for putting a pleasant smile on my face. Time to start listening with some intent again.

First I loaded up a track I’ve been listening to a lot lately -Ballad by New Model Army. Within the track is a mouth organ that I love to hear how resonant the sound is, as it seems to vary on every system I listen to it on and with the Abrahamsen it resonated wonderfully. Quickly moving on to another recent favourite CD – Push The Sky Away – the most recent studio release by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. Everything was so natural, the tonality was fabulous and voices made you want to reach out and touch the singer. I couldn’t feed the tray of the Eikos quick enough. I wanted more and more!

From the thunderous bass of Leftfield’s debut album to the shimmering highs of Shadowplay by Joy Division this amp had the answers every time and could not be wrong-footed. I’m not much of a classical guy but I do love Sinead O’Connor’s Am I Not Your Girl which would give me the feel of how a big band sounds and the Abrahamsen did not disappoint. Her voice was portrayed with real emotion and inflection with the band creating a wide and balanced sound stage although perhaps not as deep as some I have heard although all these other amps would cost several times what the cost of the Abrahamsen is. In fact, rating this amplifier is the easiest thing in the world when you consider it costs £900. It’s a downright steal! I would be happy to recommend it against amplifiers costing twice the price – it is that good!

Earlier I mentioned I had one last trick up my sleeve which may upset the apple cart. This was my transmission line PMC FB1+’s which are known for needing plenty of current to get the best out of them. I can’t claim that they were the best amp/speaker combination as perhaps the Abrahamsen did fall a little short in creating the deepest of bass with ease but in every other respect they came through with flying colours. They grabbed the PMC’s with a vice-like grip for all but that last piece of bottom end but the mid-band and top end were beguiling. I’m not, for a minute, suggesting that the overall sound is bass-light.

Infact the bass region is a strong point with normal speakers and to try and sum up the overall sound of the amplifier is, I would say it stays on the slightly warm side of neutral, particularly in the upper mid-band which makes for a most pleasant and non-fatiguing sound.

In conclusion, I was taken aback by the synergy between my Eikos CD player and this amplifier. The combination was terrific. If you are considering a purchase of the V2.0 UP Integrated Amplifier I can heartily suggest your choice is a very good one. However, an amplifier of this quality demands the best ancillaries you can provide. You will then be enjoying a system which will keep you satisfied for an extremely long time.

33RPM

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
Today I sat down again with both amps and without pre. The setup was completely the same for the rest, but the situation changed drastically.

I decided before the Bel Canto, brilliant as it may be, is not for me. So I boxed them and plugged the Abrahamsen in for one last try. I did two things differently now. I layed the cables out very neatly and parallel. And secondly I put sorbothane under the Abrahamsens three feet.

Up went Hugh Laurie's Didn't it rain. What a difference from the day before! The voices and instruments stayed as good as they were before, but now there was bass, excitement and stereo image. And detail! Not the kind that takes up all the attention ( I don't know if I make myself clear) but the one that is just there giving you music. This seemed a completely different amp. It just trashed the Bel Canto big way in all areas. It also goes louder for some reason.

Tonight I'm going to listen to some LPs. See if the same happened there.

So to who reads this: the Abrahamsen amp is great, but placement seems to make a difference, and/or the Tisbury passive pre-amp seems to need much more time then stated (25 hrs) before it performs optimal. Now ithe sound is very good. I can imagine that with the right pre-amp real magic might happen.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
33RPM said:
Today I sat down again with both amps and without pre. The setup was completely the same for the rest, but the situation changed drastically.

I decided before the Bel Canto, brilliant as it may be, is not for me. So I boxed them and plugged the Abrahamsen in for one last try. I did two things differently now. I layed the cables out very neatly and parallel. And secondly I put sorbothane under the Abrahamsens three feet.

Up went Hugh Laurie's Didn't it rain. What a difference from the day before! The voices and instruments stayed as good as they were before, but now there was bass, excitement and stereo image. And detail! Not the kind that takes up all the attention ( I don't know if I make myself clear) but the one that is just there giving you music. This seemed a completely different amp. It just trashed the Bel Canto big way in all areas. It also goes louder for some reason.

Tonight I'm going to listen to some LPs. See if the same happened there.

So to who reads this: the Abrahamsen amp is great, but placement seems to make a difference, and/or the Tisbury passive pre-amp seems to need much more time then stated (25 hrs) before it performs optimal. Now ithe sound is very good. I can imagine that with the right pre-amp real magic might happen.
I would say your problems are not with the abrahamsen but with the tilbury pre amp that you are using as the abrahamsen amps are good normally and have no issues with muddy bass and plus the fact that the amp has the best grip on bass your ever get the abrahamsen will run any speaker you hook up how ever power hungry your speakers are .

The best thing you can do is buy a abrahamsen pre amp of Colin and then try your power amp then you will see for your self what the abrahamsen is good for but when I had one I just plonked it on my rack no special placements just started it up .... And waited 20 minutes and that's all the warm up time you need seriously ! The abrahamsen preforms optimal after 20 minutes not 25hrs .

this is the best advice I can give you

33RPM

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
After owning at least 15 different amps or amp combinations I think this may be finally the one for me. The detail and the naturalness I was missing with previous amps the Abrahamsen has emerged plenty. Bass and control are really good. But to be on the safe side I ordered two last night. Meanwhile I am rediscovering my record collection. As I had it on loan I'll have to do without the Abrahamsen for a while now. When its broken in completely I'll start looking for a pre. Be it the matching Abrahamsen or a fine valve pre perhaps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts