admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
With the new HDMI v1.4 that supports ARC:

Does it support full 5.1 or even 7.1 ?

Say, if I decide to feed the HDMI 4 input of any plasma/LCD (that has ARC in HDMI 1) with fulll blown HD + DTS Master Audio, and will this signal of DTS Master Audio be transferred (from HDMI 4 to HDMI 1) in all it's glory? Though I know it's not the ideal way to get the best results.

Liam19

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
David Kam:
With the new HDMI v1.4 that supports ARC:

Does it support full 5.1 or even 7.1 ?

Say, if I decide to feed the HDMI 4 input of any plasma/LCD (that has ARC in HDMI 1) with fulll blown HD + DTS Master Audio, and will this signal of DTS Master Audio be transferred (from HDMI 4 to HDMI 1) in all it's glory? Though I know it's not the ideal way to get the best results.

Not sure I completely understand your question, but the basic intention of ARC is to eliminate the need for a separate audio cable to get sound from your TV (i.e. built-in Freeview/Freesat tuner, built-in DVD player etc.) to your AV receiver.

A HDMI v1.4 cable, connecting an AV receiver and TV that are both ARC-enabled, acts as a two-way street - carrying video/audio from your AVR to the TV (as normal), but also carrying audio from the TV back to the AVR.

In answer to your first question, multichannel audio is supported by the ARC channel of an HDMI 1.4 cable, as are all audio formats that are supported by the S/PDIF digital connections (e.g. optical/coaxial) you would otherwise use.

It's merely a convenient feature, nothing more.

A

Anonymous

It can handle the same formats as s/pdif - eg Dolby Digital, DTS, etc at 5.1

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts