A Word of Warning - Do NOT Connect Amplified Signals to Amplifier Phono Inputs

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
If your turntable has an integrated Phono pre-amp, or if you are using a separate Phono amp, do NOT Connect your turntable directly to the Phono inputs on your amp.
Amps with inputs marked "Phono" usually have additional internal pre-amps within them, and if you connect a previously Amplified signal (amplified by the turntable or the Phono pre-amp), you're likely to blow your amp.
Same goes, I guess, for turntables with integrated pre-amp and external Phono pre-amp boxes.
Lesson learned the hard way. :-(

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
was this the root cause of the smoke rising from your receiver?

Or do you suddenly need a new receiver, a new phono amp, and a new turntable?

I hope having the tone arm surgically removed, will be cheaper than the no. 7 golf club. *biggrin*

expat_mike said:

I hope having the tone arm surgically removed, will be cheaper than the no. 7 golf club. *biggrin*

Is that to toast I can smell or .......?

Sorry to hear about your loss. Sage advice though.

P.S.. Most, but not all, amps that have an input marked PHONO have a preamp installed. It pays to check. ;-)

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Benedict_Arnold said:
If your turntable has an integrated Phono pre-amp, or if you are using a separate Phono amp, do NOT Connect your turntable directly to the Phono inputs on your amp. Amps with inputs marked "Phono" usually have additional internal pre-amps within them, and if you connect a previously Amplified signal (amplified by the turntable or the Phono pre-amp), you're likely to blow your amp. Same goes, I guess, for turntables with integrated pre-amp and external Phono pre-amp boxes. Lesson learned the hard way. :-(

Thanks for the reminder - it's good to learn from other's mistakes!

Gray

Another thing to watch out for (even when you're not doing anything wrong)

Power-up surges from phono preamps into ELECTRONICALLY switched line inputs - you might think there could be no problem...take it from me, there can.

If you've got electronic amp inputs check for power up thumps from any component away from your amp's inputs first. Of course, a well designed product should not give thumps and it would help if the amp defended against them - but not always the case.

Then when I WAS doing something wrong: My little 4.5" video monitor has separate, very poorly marked and without the usual yellow, red, white colour coded RCA socket inputs for audio and video. (That's my excuse)

I plugged a composite video signal into the audio socket...just a short, loud buzz and no picture. Fair enough. But also no sound, ever again?

I opened it up and found a hole blown out of the surface mounted audio I.C. Just as well I didn't need the sound on it.

And I'm a qualified electronics service engineer - I know how to repair things but not how to use them properly. Anyway if I was clever I would never have had electric shocks would I? With the exception of the electric chair I'm pretty sure they're usually someone's mistake.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
expat_mike said:

No. Just happened to be the first time in several weeks I'd turned the thing on.

expat_mike said:

I'd settle for the receiver. The turntable was just a toy I was playing with whilst I'm working for the government.

expat_mike said:

Me too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts