A/V Receiver and blue ray player integrated

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
acalex said:
Hello, why is such a bad idea to have an all-in one solution like the Oppo 105?

Why do you thunk I shouldn't bother to have center? I am a bit fed up of having to turn up the volume when people are talking and to turn it down when I have special effects (as too loud otherwise). Won't i fix the problem with a center speaker?

But definitely I would like to stick with a one-box solution if possible

Oppo 105 does not have any amplification. It's just a blu ray player. You'll still need a separate amplifier for the centre.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
This would impy to have

- New 3 speakers (2 front and 1 center)

- 1 AV receiver

- 1 BR player

- A lot of space...

- Quite a lot of cash

The problem of the space being the biggest...as I don't think my gf would accept another 3 speakers in that space...

The likelihood is that you are going to need AV amp, BRP and Centre Speaker anyway.....so it's only 2 extra icky little speakers. :shifty:

If the SFs are not part of the equation, you will get away with a much cheeper AV amp.

I suspect if you cobble something together, it's still going to cost a fair bit, not sound quite right, be a bit of a torture, use a lot of lecky......all of which, in the end, will lead you back to what I'm suggesting. ;)

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:
This would impy to have

- New 3 speakers (2 front and 1 center)

- 1 AV receiver

- 1 BR player

- A lot of space...

- Quite a lot of cash

The problem of the space being the biggest...as I don't think my gf would accept another 3 speakers in that space...

The likelihood is that you are going to need AV amp, BRP and Centre Speaker anyway.....so it's only 2 extra icky little speakers. :shifty:

If the SFs are not part of the equation, you will get away with a much cheeper AV amp.

I suspect if you cobble something together, it's still going to cost a fair bit, not sound quite right, be a bit of a torture, use a lot of lecky......all of which, in the end, will lead you back to what I'm suggesting. ;)

Of course, if box count is the priority the best option may be ditching these speakers, replace them with 3 actives and just have the oppo 105 as an integrated blu ray & pre/pro :twisted:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Of course, if box count is the priority the best option may be ditching these speakers, replace them with 3 actives and just have the oppo 105 as an integrated blu ray & pre/pro :twisted:

........of course............ :doh:

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
bigboss said:
BenLaw said:

(waiting for AVI lovers to start recommending any time now....)

TBF the all in one stereo advantages are rather redundant in a HT setup - you're spending money on their pre amps, remote, DACs and multiple inputs that you wouldn't need.

Cno, in case you couldn't tell I was just having a bit of a joke. I actually think we're in agreement about Alex's current thoughts - it doesn't really work. To get a centre and the required quality of amplification to match current stereo amp and speakers will be very expensive, it would seem prohibitively so. It also cannot be achieved with an integrated solution. Lower grade centre and / or amp will not lead to a satisfying outcome. So Alex has three choices - (i) start from scratch, (ii) have a separate HT system, (iii) forget this idea and enjoy films in stereo.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Possible Sonus Faber centres: http://www.stoneaudio.co.uk/?manufacturer=sonus+faber

- Toy

- Venere

- Liuto Smart

- Cremona

Sorry off Topic...

Hey CnoEvil, woild you happen to know were i could get this sonus faber Venere center to match my speakers.. Or if possible to audtion the center.. am currently using B&W's HTM61.. Would my Cremona's over power the Venere center..?

Cheers

Native_bon said:
CnoEvil said:
Possible Sonus Faber centres: http://www.stoneaudio.co.uk/?manufacturer=sonus+faber

- Toy

- Venere

- Liuto Smart

- Cremona

Sorry off Topic...

Hey CnoEvil, woild you happen to know were i could get this sonus faber Venere center to match my speakers.. Or if possible to audtion the center.. am currently using B&W's HTM61.. Would my Cremona's over power the Venere center..?

Cheers

http://www.kjwestone.co.uk/collection/01/sonus-faber/venere-center-new/

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Native_bon said:
Sorry off Topic...

Cheers

I can't be much help I'm afraid........maybe give SF a ring and see where your nearest dealer is.

I wouldn't think your Cremonas would over-power the Venere centre....I would worry more about the tonal match (which may be OK).

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
CnoEvil said:
BenLaw said:
Cno, in case you couldn't tell I was just having a bit of a joke.

Who me?.......not a clue. ;)

Maybe I misinterpreted your response then. Anyway, do you agree with my assessment?

Forums can be tricky to fully get one's intention across.......I was being a tad facetious / flippant.

Yes I agree.....and somewhat speaking from experience.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
OK...you convinced me there is nothing to do so far as I don't have space to put other speakers and my SFs are not going nowhere for the next....ehm...many years :)

I guess I will just get a good BR player (which I can also use as CDPlayer) and keep enjoying films in stereo. I had this idea of adding a center as I was convinced that it would fix this problem of turning up and down the volume. I watched Batman last night (the last one) and it was pretty impressive also with the stereo setup...not sure what my neighbours thought about my idea though :shame:

Thanks a lot for all suggestions

Adding a centre speaker will certainly help, but you need a separate AV receiver to run it. You can even go for a slimline version like Marantz with pre-outs as suggested by someone in the thread earlier.

What will really make a massive difference to your experience, is a subwoofer, if you don't already have one. It's a sin to watch Batman without one! :O

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
bigboss said:
Adding a centre speaker will certainly help, but you need a separate AV receiver to run it. You can even go for a slimline version like Marantz with pre-outs as suggested by someone in the thread earlier.

What will really make a massive difference to your experience, is a subwoofer, if you don't already have one. It's a sin to watch Batman without one! :O

So you are suggesting that if I get a separate AV receiver than it will be enough to drive a center and a subwoofer? I like a lot actually the Marantz slimline version and was on my radar for long time.

The fact of having a decent center but not at the same level of speakers (as I really don't want to invest that much now) would be an horrible syn?

Actually..I thought the same but the room was really shaking when Batman was driving his "car" and I could feel almost the air of explosions even without subwoofer. Was REALLY impressed by the SFs for their size. Don't want to imagine what a subwoofer can do...but unfortunately I would need to change house first as having other people underneath and on top is not ideal for this!

Thanks

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Native_bon said:
Sorry off Topic...

Cheers

I can't be much help I'm afraid........maybe give SF a ring and see where your nearest dealer is.

I wouldn't think your Cremonas would over-power the Venere centre....I would worry more about the tonal match (which may be OK).

I am really not experienced so pardon me if I am saying silly things...but it is really that important? I mean, the voice when you have a center is supposed to get out of the center only, correct? How a tonal match will influence so much your experience? I mean if you get voice over the center and all the rest from the front. why it's so important having the tone of special effects similar to the voice? How much difference can be?

Again...sorry if I am swearing! :oops:

acalex said:
bigboss said:

So you are suggesting that if I get a separate AV receiver than it will be enough to drive a center and a subwoofer? I like a lot actually the Marantz slimline version and was on my radar for long time.

The fact of having a decent center but not at the same level of speakers (as I really don't want to invest that much now) would be an horrible syn?

Actually..I thought the same but the room was really shaking when Batman was driving his "car" and I could feel almost the air of explosions even without subwoofer. Was REALLY impressed by the SFs for their size. Don't want to imagine what a subwoofer can do...but unfortunately I would need to change house first as having other people underneath and on top is not ideal for this!

Thanks

Yes, the AV receiver will be able to drive a subwoofer as well. I don't think a subwoofer will make things worse. It'll simply take over the job from your front speakers and do a better job at it.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
bigboss said:
acalex said:
bigboss said:

Thanks

Yes, the AV receiver will be able to drive a subwoofer as well. I don't think a subwoofer will make things worse. It'll simply take over the job from your front speakers and do a better job at it.

You got me curios now...I think I will borrow one to see how things change, also for music.

acalex said:
CnoEvil said:
Native_bon said:
Sorry off Topic...

Cheers

I am really not experienced so pardon me if I am saying silly things...but it is really that important? I mean, the voice when you have a center is supposed to get out of the center only, correct? How a tonal match will influence so much your experience? I mean if you get voice over the center and all the rest from the front. why it's so important having the tone of special effects similar to the voice? How much difference can be?

A tonal match is usually recommended for fronts and centre, so that each speaker knows its exact job. It's not only voice that will come out of the centre speaker, but some music as well. Audio separation is better if matched tonally. Usually same brand speakers is recommended.

Having said that, if funds are tight, just get a centre speaker to suit your budget & demo it to see if you're happy with it. There's no hard & fast rule in home cinema (except getting a subwoofer ;) ).

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
bigboss said:
acalex said:
CnoEvil said:
Native_bon said:
Sorry off Topic...

Cheers

A tonal match is usually recommended for fronts and centre, so that each speaker knows its exact job. It's not only voice that will come out of the centre speaker, but some music as well. Audio separation is better if matched tonally. Usually same brand speakers is recommended.

Having said that, if funds are tight, just get a centre speaker to suit your budget & demo it to see if you're happy with it. There's no hard & fast rule in home cinema (except getting a subwoofer ;) ).

It sounds like a fair advice, thanks. I think I will be borrowing the B&W center and subwoofer from Rob to see how things change and if I can live with the fact the center and the front won't be tonally balanced.

I actually like a lot the Marantz which would tick also a lot of other boxes

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
One thing I do not understand yet...if I have to connect the pre-out of the AVreceiver to the amplifier driving my front, where do I connect the subwoofer then? To the hi-fi amplifier? Or I just take one exit of the 7 channels out from the Marantz?

Thx again

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi Acalex

I quite understand your issue of dialogue vs. effects using a stereo system, something I did for many years. My solution was to keep AV and stereo playback separate and I’m very happy with the results.

(I use MA Radius One below the TV plus a MA Radius R370HD sub plus R90HD rears, but have kept my stereo speakers. Currently using them through zone 2 of the AV receiver with the eventual plan to drive them with a Naim Unitilite or similar).

To keep your box count down and (just) within budget, could this be an option for you?...

3 x wall-mounted Neat iota’s (they’re VERY small and would not dominate any room visually), an AV receiver (there are some excellent deals on Yamaha A1010’s / A2010’s at the moment), separate blu-ray player (I know this wasn’t what your original post asked for, but most blurays are extremely slim) and a sub-woofer.

I reckon if you purchased from one place you’d just about get this within the £2K (usually you’d get a decent package deal discount). List prices would be £950 ish for the Neat iota’s, allow £600 for AV receiver, £200 for bluray £350 for Sub. Again with package discount, you may be able to look at a more expensive sub / bluray. Your dealer would probably be dictated by where you can find the Neat iota's.

Also from my own experience, even with the technical wizardry of an AV receiver, you’ll STILL find yourself turning volume up and down at times to cope with the way some blurays are mastered. Listening to some mixes in pure direct (without any dialogue enhancement) is a joke. But with some tweaking with the settings I’ve eventually found a decent balance, and keeping it all separate from the stereo setup, IMO is a simpler approach. It’s not for everyone, but it could be something to consider.

All the best with your dilemma!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts