A/V Receiver and blue ray player integrated

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Hello everybody,

I am trying to build my home theater system and was thinking to add a center to my existing 2 channel for music. I will be using the hi-fi amplifier (which has a pre-out) to drive my front and wanted to add an AV receiver to drive the center and add a blu-ray player.

Anything good around? Sorry not expert here...

Thanks a lot

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
John Duncan said:
It's not the hifi amp that needs pre outs, it's the AV receiver, just FYI. Do you have a budget?

Thanks for the info, wasn't aware of that!

I have a budget, let's say wouldn't like to be aroun 1k eur but could stretch till 2k if that's worth...

I guess I will be connecting my tv to the receiver through HDMI and then the receiver to the Jadis through the pre-out, correct?

Thanks a lot JD

Would this fit the bill or something missing? Clicky

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
bigboss said:
So you want a separate AV receiver & a blu ray player? I was a little confused by the word "integrated". Which speakers have you got? And to confirm: is it a 3.1 or a 5.1 system?

I do not want separate, I want an integrated AV receiver + BR player. The receiver will play the BR and will also drive the center and eventually the subwoofer. My hifi amplifier will drive the front (Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento) and will be connected to the AV receiver through the receiver pre-out

Thanks a lot

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Ditto.

What centre do you have in mind? If it is to match your stereo speakers you'll need some serious upmarket amplification. I think you also may end up with a tonal mismatch given your use of valves. You could use the oppo 105 as a blu ray player and multi channel pre amp and add another power amp. But the integrated solution is unrealistic.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I believe Alex is probably looking for an AV receiver as well as a BR Player.

I would be considering something like the Arcam AVR 360......or you need Pathos to come up with something modern to handle HD (if they haven't already).

The centre will be interesting to get right (and in budget).

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
bigboss said:
Look at Denon Cara: http://www.denon.co.uk/uk/product/pages/Product-Detail.aspx?CatId=HomeTheatre&SubId=BluraySurroundReceiver&ProductId=CARA I'm not sure if it has pre-outs. Better check.

Good call. Pre-outs is hard to tell from the specs but the back panel looks like it has a pair of zone 1 pre outs in addition to the sub out. This is a rather limiting way to go though.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
BenLaw said:
bigboss said:
Look at Denon Cara: http://www.denon.co.uk/uk/product/pages/Product-Detail.aspx?CatId=HomeTheatre&SubId=BluraySurroundReceiver&ProductId=CARA I'm not sure if it has pre-outs. Better check.

Good call. Pre-outs is hard to tell from the specs but the back panel looks like it has a pair of zone 1 pre outs in addition to the sub out. This is a rather limiting way to go though.

Yup, think you're right - zooming in, under the pre-out connectors, it looks like it says "SB/Assign" so I assume that means by default it's for surround back speakers, but you can re-assign it to the fronts?

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
professorhat said:
BenLaw said:
bigboss said:

Yup, think you're right - zooming in, under the pre-out connectors, it looks like it says "SB/Assign" so I assume that means by default it's for surround back speakers, but you can re-assign it to the fronts?

That's what I thought it said too. Bit of an odd setup, but I assumed that's what it meant too. Definitely would need to be checked for sure before dropping £2k. I think the manual is available to download.

BenLaw said:
professorhat said:
BenLaw said:
bigboss said:

That's what I thought it said too. Bit of an odd setup, but I assumed that's what it meant too. Definitely would need to be checked for sure before dropping £2k. I think the manual is available to download.

It's a 5.1 but can be made 7.1 by adding an amplifier to surround back (SB) port. Worth checking if it can assigned for front.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
BenLaw said:
professorhat said:
BenLaw said:
bigboss said:

Okay, downloaded the manual - unfortunately this isn't the case. Page 37 describes that this can be used to connect to a power amplifier for either 7.1 with front height speakers or 7.1 with surround backs. Those are the only two options available for the pre-out assignment according to the manual.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
CnoEvil said:
Possible Sonus Faber centres: http://www.stoneaudio.co.uk/?manufacturer=sonus+faber

- Toy

- Venere

- Liuto Smart

- Cremona

£3200 for the Cremona!

...........which is why I listed others.

If it was me, and there was room, i would get all Kef R Series for the front, ie. putting a couple of R100s (or LS50s) beside the SFs (along with the centre), and forget about using the Jadis for AV. It would sort a lot of problems, and sound great.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
acalex said:
Hello everybody,

I am trying to build my home theater system and was thinking to add a center to my existing 2 channel for music. I will be using the hi-fi amplifier (which has a pre-out) to drive my front and wanted to add an AV receiver to drive the center and add a blu-ray player.

Anything good around? Sorry not expert here...

Thanks a lot

TBH, it sounds like a lot of bother just to add a centre speaker, especially as you're after an all-in-one receiver/BD with pre-outs, which I fear may be like trying to find hen's teeth....

If I were in your shoes, I'd either stick with what you already have or if you were prepared to go for full surround I'd get a receiver with pre-outs and a separate BD player.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Hello, why is such a bad idea to have an all-in one solution like the Oppo 105?

Why do you thunk I shouldn't bother to have center? I am a bit fed up of having to turn up the volume when people are talking and to turn it down when I have special effects (as too loud otherwise). Won't i fix the problem with a center speaker?

But definitely I would like to stick with a one-box solution if possible

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
BenLaw said:
CnoEvil said:
Possible Sonus Faber centres: http://www.stoneaudio.co.uk/?manufacturer=sonus+faber

- Toy

- Venere

- Liuto Smart

- Cremona

£3200 for the Cremona!

...........which is why I listed others.

If it was me, and there was room, i would get all Kef R Series for the front, ie. putting a couple of R100s (or LS50s) beside the SFs (along with the centre), and forget about using the Jadis for AV. It would sort a lot of problems, and sound great.

This would impy to have

- New 3 speakers (2 front and 1 center)

- 1 AV receiver

- 1 BR player

- A lot of space...

- Quite a lot of cash

The problem of the space being the biggest...as I don't think my gf would accept another 3 speakers in that space...

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
But does the 105 have amplification built in? I didn't think it did, in which case you'd still need an amp of some sort, also, adding a centre speaker probably won't have any bearing on dynamics. I think we all suffer at some time from ramping the volume up for dialogue only to jump on the remote when something explodes somewhere. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts