A stereo Amp and an AV receiver through one set of speakers? With no sound compromise...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Sure.

TBH, if you could prove to me there was no difference between certain forms of downloaded music and CD, I would still pick CD every time. I like the artwork, the packaging, the physical object. I also like knowing that I'm not gonna be down 500 CDs if I get mugged/lose my iPod/computer crashes/get burgled, etc, etc.

John Duncan

Big Chris:Sure.

TBH, if you could prove to me there was no difference between certain forms of downloaded music and CD, I would still pick CD every time. I like the artwork, the packaging, the physical object. I also like knowing that I'm not gonna be down 500 CDs if I get mugged/lose my iPod/computer crashes/get burgled, etc, etc.

Agreed, we need to differentiate between downloaded music (ie 256k max, generally) and CDs ripped with care to a PC or Mac - which is where my lossless files/airport express/DACMagic beats my not-exactly-budget CD player.

I too love the artwork, the packaging, etc etc, and have been known to sniff my nagaoka inner sleeves longingly on occasion, but to be honest, an iPod Touch as a remote control comes close to the sensuality of that experience....
emotion-5.gif

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Big Chris:Sure.

Your mind is made up already Chris! Lossless files to a decent DAC will beat many cd player imo. I understand what you say about losing all your music - that's what back up discs are for. And you don't scratch your cds, or crack the case or have to lend them out.... and I get the artwork on my LCD when picking my next song...

A

Anonymous

I would probably say that the digital side needs to provide the right data at the right time to the DAC, and that's it. Both lossless rips and CDs should provide this. I'd still chose CD myself, as I like my physical album art/liner notes and find my shelving easier to navigate than iTunes or its alternatives. The main thing to think about though,is that if you don't get a CD player, you will still need a good musical DAC box. Tecnically, your AV amp and pc setup have all this equipment, but is it as good as a seperate unit, and how well does it compare to the ones in the CD players mentioned.

Now on to the reason I'm actually here, I want to come to a similar setup from a different angle. I currently have a stereo amp (NAD C352). Music is more important than movies to me. I don't really want duplicate front speakers. How would I fare with a sub £300 surround amp on this - would the front and rear gell well enough to sound as good as or better than the surround amp on its own? Would I be able to route bass to the front and have small rears until I get a sub.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts