A speaker audition pamphlet

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
If I ever got my ears syringed..though it seems to be the most reasonable thing to do at this juncture. .and I auditioned speakers. I would want to include how I placed them more than what my source and amp was :

1. A birds eye view of the room layout. Showing speakers and listening position.
2. Exact distance from rear and side walls where I felt they struck a balance.
3. Height above ground, becuase with my limited listening experience i've found that all speakers don't sound their best at ear height.

Please feel free to add your pointers, the more the better. There are folks like me who don't have the luxury to audition. It will atleast help them in their next purchase decision.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
For me:

- If Standmounts, I want to know if the Stands are filled...and if so, with what,
- The position of the seating position...ie. If too close to a wall
- The music with which to fully test
- The Cabling.
- If not on the end of my own kit, I would need to be familiar with what they are on the end of.
- The shape and construction of the room
- The type of floor and flooring.

I think the reason why this rarely happens is this. The assumption in either a magazine review or one from a fellow forumite, is that they can be trusted to position the speakers in the best position in their room. The size, shape and construction of the room may well vary, but they should be getting a reasonable representation of what’s possible, and preferably have one or two rivals to compare and contrast.

Some magazines publish pictures and dimensions of reviewers room, even if only rarely or as a special feature. These are typically a domestic room or special extension. Others, like WHF, use corporate facilities, often built for the purpose - by which I mean some listening rooms of various sizes constructed in, say, an office block or a former studio.

IMO, a decent review will certainly comment on any stands, cables and so on, along with the placement. This is particularly relevant if proximity to the wall behind the speakers is relied upon for bass boost.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
davidf said:
This site will have logged me out by the time I finished typing... :)
knowing fully well of so much variations, some will still say a good speak will sound good in almost any room. I think people buy speaker for amps and amps for speakers. I personally think it should be speakers for room, speakers for amp, source for speakers and amp, then cables. In that order.

Native_bon said:
davidf said:
This site will have logged me out by the time I finished typing... :)
knowing fully well of so much variations, some will still say a good speak will sound good in almost any room. I think people buy speaker for amps and amps for speakers. I personally think it should be speakers for room, speakers for amp, source for speakers and amp, then cables. In that order.
Definitely. From those I deal with, the KEFs and the Amphions are particularly good with regards to this. Still no substitute for good placement though :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts