A silly mistake

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Hello,

it happened. These bloody things always happen....By mistake after reconnecting back to phono input in amp I forgot to switch off phono EQ in TT. It was for maybe 3 seconds, loud pop when switched on and mega distortion ( what is obvious in this case ). Quickly realised I left phono EQ on....Nothing bad with the sound, but could it be harmful to speakers and phono stage in amp ? Seems to be ok...but still.

audiventory

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
If currently all ok (you don't listen sound difference berore and after), I think, you have not reasons for disturbance.

Very probable, at factory, speakers and amps put under overload tests too.

Let wait several days, may be you forget this unpleaseant case and will enjoy you system further.

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
audiventory said:
If currently all ok (you don't listen sound difference berore and after), I think, you have not reasons for disturbance.

Very probable, at factory, speakers and amps put under overload tests too.

Let wait several days, may be you forget this unpleaseant case and will enjoy you system further.

Thank you for assurance...Such things can be a total nightmare for an audiophile and the system. I took a lesson anyway to think twice when reconnecting etc. If anything regarding connections - volume always down...

I'm not 100% sure exactly what you did, but it sounds like you plugged in with the amp turned up. If phono preamp active the gain is obviously much more.

The electronics don't usually mind, and if they did, a relay might trip or a fuse blow. More likely to cause speaker damage from excessive input. It will be pretty obvious, as scratchy sound or crackling.

If it's any consolation, I did something equally daft on Saturday. I had put a CD in my player, but hadn't closed the drawer. I bent down to move something, and on standing up bumped the drawer with my backside! I heard a sharp click, and sure enough it wouldn't close, presumably having become derailed from its runners or damage to the mechanism that pulls it inwards. Aaaargh! Doubtless fixable for a handsome repair bill!

Hope your kit has not suffered anything permanent.

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Thanks nopiano, yes it is a bit of the afterthought that lingers over no matter whether it has actually been slightly damaged or not. It's just one of those audiophile nightmares that spoil the aesthetics and fun ;) I can fully understand how you felt crashing your CD drawer.....ooouch.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
The tweeters have ferro-fluid cooling and the cabinets are sealed, so good luck killing those 86db power guzzlers with a short burst of power. *mosking*

But that poor CD drawer, ouchhh... Which Krell CDP model do you have, nopiano?

Vladimir said:
The tweeters have ferro-fluid cooling and the cabinets are sealed, so good luck killing those 86db power guzzlers with a short burst of power. *mosking*

It's the KAV-300cd, now almost nineteen years old. It's only ever needed one repair, about six years ago when it wasn't reading discs. Had a good clean up, realign and the drawer mechanism came back quieter than new! It has that TEAC system that screws down onto the disc, slightly flexing it.

The real irony is I'd just bought a used Marantz SA14s1 'special edition', under a year old, as I'd never had SACD replay. It also has a decent DAC with asynchronous input. Am hoping it'll be a decent successor as I can't justify the cost of some of the new CD players like the Hegel Mohican.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
nopiano said:
Vladimir said:

It's the KAV-300cd, now almost nineteen years old. It's only ever needed one repair, about six years ago when it wasn't reading discs. Had a good clean up, realign and the drawer mechanism came back quieter than new! It has that TEAC system that screws down onto the disc, slightly flexing it.

The real irony is I'd just bought a used Marantz SA14s1 'special edition', under a year old, as I'd never had SACD replay. It also has a decent DAC with asynchronous input. Am hoping it'll be a decent successor as I can't justify the cost of some of the new CD players like the Hegel Mohican.

You should have gotten a top loader. *wink*

Vladimir said:
nopiano said:
Vladimir said:

You should have gotten a top loader. *wink*
I'd happily settle for an Audio Research CD6 - even though it's lighter than my new Marantz, which weighs over 15kg!

TRENDING THREADS