A&R Cambridge A60 (1976) vs Arcam A19 (2013)

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Interesting

I'd like to know how my speakers Mission 782se would compare with today's price comparible speakers.

They were described has the best a grand or so could buy or something along those lines. Wonder how many stars they'd get.

Have to admit the comparison does lack detail though - how did the old amp image compared to the new with today's higher resolution music.

Was 40wpc back then worth more than it is now in terms of playback?

And what was it about the sound that kept pulling you back?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
As an owner of an A60 from the early 80s, I think the review is reasonably fair. Compared to the A19, I find the presentation a little too smooth and lacking excitement and punch.

Thanks for the interesting review.

Just love these type of reviews. Although the outcome isn't suprising, it proves these vintage kits are still worthwhile. Think it is interesting how Ketan and others were smitten by the wooden case. I've always said moden kit is very bland in looks/build quality (generalising).

Would be interested to know which price compatible speakers were best suited to the A60.

Hope you do some more in the not too distant...

Will this review be appearing in the mag?

Like to read how old Marantz amps compare with new, and Pioneer versus Pioneer *good*

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
About what I'd expect/hope for. I wonder how much of the difference is down to tastes in sound rather than technical and design improvements.

I'd say the results are similar when I compare my dad's 1970's Luxman against their more modern amps.

TRENDING THREADS